Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account.'

I did what was advised regarding the iCloud instructions for Mac but it still says 'This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account.'

Apple really needs to get it together on this one. For the first time in my life I am considering buying a sony.

MacBook

Posted on May 11, 2015 10:57 PM

7 replies

May 11, 2015 11:45 PM in response to asley365

This message usually turns up for Windows users who are trying to create an iCloud account (they can't). On a Mac it's more difficult to explain. If you are one of those long-term users whose Apple ID is just a name and not an email address, you won't be able to create an iCloud account: the ID must take the form of an email address. You would need to go to http://appleid.apple.com and change the ID to a non-Apple email address which isn't associated with another Apple ID.

Jul 2, 2015 5:08 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Well I am having the same issue. Ever since Apple demanded that i change my Apple ID password to make it more secure, I can no longer use iCloud email in Mail.app on Mavericks on my MacBookPro. When i tell Mail's accounts pane to make an iCloud account, i use my xxxxxx@icloud.com account and get the "This Apple ID is valid bit is not an iCloud account" error. I can still get my iCloud email on my iPhone. I have tried many restarts as suggested in other forums, to no avail. I have had my Apple ID since the day iTools was released in 1999, so yes I am a long-term user but my account has always been either a .mac or .me (and now .icloud) email address. I have tried using my .mac and .me addresses also for mail.app and it gives me the same error.

Forwarding my important mail from my phone to a dummy gmail account is getting old. How can an @icloud.com account not be a valid iCloud account on my computer but it is valid on my phone? I feel forsaken by Apple, but i suppose I shouldn't take it personally. This should not be happening.

Jul 2, 2015 11:35 PM in response to Peter Krug

You're right, it shouldn't. However you shouldn't need to make any changes in the Mail application. Try signing out in System Preferences>iCloud and then signing back it (perhaps after a reboot, though that probably isn't necessary). Obviously all your synced data will disappear from your Mac when you sign out, but will reappear when you sign back in (give it time).

Jul 3, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks Roger for your comment. Two weeks ago I did sign out in the iCloud System pref pane, that was probably the wrong thing to do since I lost all of my calendar information, all my iCloud mail and all my IMAP folders are gone. I followed the information in other support posts that said to sign out and sign back in and don't worry about telling your machine to remove everything from all those apps, it will come back. Maybe a restart or 3 would be required. I have restarted every day over the last two weeks - no luck.

What is odd is that my AOL iChat login *does* work with my new password. I had to change it in the iChat application - couldn't believe that worked sincet AOL has been sending nastygrams about having to dump my @mac.com login because they won't accept them anymore. But the text message link to my iMessage account does not work.

Is a clean install of Mavericks the only option? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sep 20, 2015 8:52 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I hope you can help me too. My problem is that I'm trying to create a (new) icloud account because they don't recognize my password in the old one; when I tried to reset it, they answered that they don't find an account for that email address. A vicious circle that I thought I could break by creating a new account, but the verification mail has not arrived to my primary address (more than 6 hours have elapsed). And I cannot proceede without confirming that address. Curiously, they did asked to confirm rescue e-mail address, which I dis, and they accepted. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

'This Apple ID is valid but is not an iCloud account.'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.