Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleWorks styles - Clean install

I definetely do love my AppleWorks from the very beginning (me german fossile, since 84 on Mac, now MacbookPro intel 64bit SnowLeo 10.6.8 - and i donot follow Apple any longer if they dont support AppleWorks or grant a "Rosetta" to reccent systems).

I do own it as old ClarisWorks CD and as later AppleWorks 6.2.4 CD, togehter with apropiate local national updaters up to 6.2.9

For whatever reasons (localizer?) i have a corrupted Style -collection a) partly bilangual mixed like "default" = standard" in templates and b) probably due to "spreadsheet -default" enumerates Styles up to Nr 250 undefined Styles - thus avoiding consistency of work and styles. The more i cant delete older/ wrong or d-english styles, for they are "in use" by the system.

Therefore I would like to make a clean install of AppleWorks with clean styles. I've tried several times, but the confusion of bilangual style-types and enumeration of "250 Spreadsheet-styles carries on.

Any suggestions out there from the Us-Cracks how to get a clean collection of styles local national, no Style-numbers?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 12, 2015 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2015 10:23 AM

Styles was poorly implemented in AppleWorks so I rarely used them. But I'm not sure you mean styles as I do, settings for text. I've looked through my Mac running Snow Leopard & can't find anything related to styles in AppleWorks. Where are these styles you've tried to delete located so that I can explore further.

I do primarily run AppleWorks 6.2.9 in the default US English version, but I do have AppleWorks 6.2.4 in British English installed. I could also install any of the other available languages but my multilingual skills are not good.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Bongo2

Styles was poorly implemented in AppleWorks so I rarely used them. But I'm not sure you mean styles as I do, settings for text. I've looked through my Mac running Snow Leopard & can't find anything related to styles in AppleWorks. Where are these styles you've tried to delete located so that I can explore further.

I do primarily run AppleWorks 6.2.9 in the default US English version, but I do have AppleWorks 6.2.4 in British English installed. I could also install any of the other available languages but my multilingual skills are not good.

May 14, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Peggy

Hi Peggy - tuvm so far. If you installed old Claris Works or later AppleWorks 6 first time, there is a folder installed called "styles" (ClW/ ApWo). Within that folder is, at the very beginning, only one file called "additional spreadsheet styles" that may be imported to main ApWo Style center. For making them usable, you must have this file once stored and first time, the system-pregiven name is "Stilvorgabe 1" meaning ApWorks Style-Settings.

You must have stored this file once in your life, to make it usable, eg into you styles folder.

ApWorks does accept the older versions of ClarisWorks-styles. So for clean install, we could use 2 Style files by ClarisWorks OR 2 stylemfiles of ApWorks (the additional spreadsheet styles and Main styles, if stored once.

However when switching from ClarisWorks to AppleWorks, there must have happened a "bug" somewhere - i assume wihtin "default" and "Spreadsheet default", because AppleWorks had been augmented by a second small spreadsheet form. Thus the new styles being enumerated up to eg 250 styles, because the basic style is not recognized.

The normal procedure for getting clean styles is to select one document, that comes closest to what you would like to have. and then export them to one overall style collection file, name it, and by checking or unchecking all styles that you would like to have in your new collection. However, you dont see, what the checked -exported style means. Ive tried it about 50 times and no success - because there is one more feature, that new documents herite from master-documents. And available styles are shown only, if the are applicable right now (sample: spreadsheet wihtin txtDok. If you are workin within text, the spreadsheet styles are not shwon and vice versa. So i cant get it clean.

With regard to your kind offer localized versions: i do have a clean? (if not with bug) AWorks 6.2.4 CD with appropriate local national updaters. However, if installing, the 2 main problems carrie on: the english style "default " is not translated into locnational - german: as "Standard", so causing bilangual mixture of styles. And documents herite style Nr "180" from not recognized spreadsheet style.

If you had some more tips, would be great.

AppleWorks styles - Clean install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.