Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating to Yosemite - Crashed - HDD Errors? Disk Utility

I'm not even entirely sure I was updating the OSX on my mac, truth be told I don't know what OS I was using.

However, I restarted my mac to finish installing Pro Tools and there was some sort of update the system had to do as well. My mac crashed upon starting up (near login screen) and I held the power button to shut it down. When I started it the next time it went straight to Disk Utility.

I'm assuming I must of been updating the OS for this kind of problem to happen.

In Disk Utility I have tried reinstalling Yosemite OSX but it gives me one choice of disk 'Recovery HD' which is locked. In Disk Utility the box 'enable journeying' on this disk cannot be pressed for some reason. So I cannot reinstall the OS.

I have tried opening in safe mode and pressing cmd-s (cannot remember which mode this is). Neither seem to work (I get the white screen with the apple logo missing) and then Disk Utility.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do about this? There really doesn't seem to be any reason except an interruption in updating the mac which could of caused any issues.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 12, 2015 8:55 AM

2 replies

May 12, 2015 1:49 PM in response to Eric Root

Ok thanks for your response I'll go through the solutions and see if they work:

Safe mode doesn't actually work at all - just a blank bit where the apple logo is at start up, automatically goes into recovery mode when I release shift.

Disk Utility verifies the HD but on repairing it, about half way through, it says something like 'transfer and save all the files you can and reformat the disk'.

The fsck command reports everything being 'ok'.

Internet recovery gives me two options the HD and the Recovery HD after entering a internet password they both fail to start the process.

It actually seems like the hard drive is broken. It just seems like an excessive thing to happen because of an update error.

Updating to Yosemite - Crashed - HDD Errors? Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.