Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2011 grey screen thin horizontal lines - GPU failure?

Hi, yesterday my 2011 MBP was working fine but this evening it suddenly will not boot! Instead I get a grey screen. 😢

I've tried a PRAM reset, but that hasn't helped. Recovery mode just displays a blue screen. Thin horizontal lines appear all over the screen.

Is this the dreaded 2011 MBP GPU failure? If so, does any one know if Apple will cover the costs of the GPU repair? If not, is it a job that's not too difficult/expensive to fix at home? (I live in the UK)

Many thanks,

Matt

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on May 12, 2015 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2015 12:30 PM

Is this the dreaded 2011 MBP GPU failure?

Quite possibly. Take it in for service:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Replacing a logic board is not a simple task.

Ciao.

11 replies

Jan 10, 2016 7:20 PM in response to Mateus109

Hi,

I took my Macbook pro 2011 (late) to the apple store for this GPU recall. ( They replace the "motherboard" and 2 days later I'm having exactly the same problem. Computer is overheating and shutdown automatically. This AMD Graphic card is a complete garbage. And replacing the motherboard "WILL Not solve this". It's a hardware malfunction, and If they replace the hardware "for the same hardware" having this problem is a matter of time. FRUSTRATING!. You pay prime! Not get prime!. Apple quality controls went downhill.

MacBook Pro 2011 grey screen thin horizontal lines - GPU failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.