Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

timeline staggers and stalls on playback

Hello Everyone. During playback my timeline staggers and stalls. My clips exclusively contain 1280 x 720 60 frames (mostly all of these clips I conformed them in Cinema Tools to 23.97 for a slow motion effect. Also, I have 1920 x 1080 shot at 29.97. When I'm watching my project on my cinema viewer (all frames mode) at a certain clip the beach ball begins spinning. It also, does this during playback on the editor's Canvas. I've always been a little confused as to what settings I should choose for my playback options. I guess now would be a good time to clear that up if that could be causing the problem. Thank you all for your input.

Erv

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3.2GHz

Posted on May 12, 2015 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2015 7:37 AM

First what codec (or compressor) are your clips?

Where is your media stored? It should be on an external drive connected by firewire (not usb) and there should be a minimum of 10% free space on the hard drive. You might also run diskutility drive repair on it. And if you have Diskwarrior, that could also help drive performance problems.

Are you running other programs at the same time? If so, try quitting them and see if that helps. Sometimes disconnecting the computer from the internet may help. Physically removing the ethernet cable or turning off airport are the most sureproof ways to do this.

If none of these things help, try creating a new user in system preferences: accounts.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2015 7:37 AM in response to ERV77

First what codec (or compressor) are your clips?

Where is your media stored? It should be on an external drive connected by firewire (not usb) and there should be a minimum of 10% free space on the hard drive. You might also run diskutility drive repair on it. And if you have Diskwarrior, that could also help drive performance problems.

Are you running other programs at the same time? If so, try quitting them and see if that helps. Sometimes disconnecting the computer from the internet may help. Physically removing the ethernet cable or turning off airport are the most sureproof ways to do this.

If none of these things help, try creating a new user in system preferences: accounts.

timeline staggers and stalls on playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.