Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which is the preferred (more powerful) USB port on my new (early 2015) MacBook Pro?

I am using my brand new, fully updated (early 2015) MacBook Pro to DJ. In order to use it I need to plug a dongle/Soundcard box (Serato SL3) into one of the USB ports. It is USB 2.0 but should technically work fine. I started having the USB drop out light appear in the program while djing which can affect the sound, and I can't have this. My question is, which of the two ports is the preferred/more powerful port? I am familiar with the "all USB's aren't created equal" article, but I can't find any info on the NEWEST MacBook Pro's. My setup is: Late 2015 13" MacBook Pro Retina, 8 gig of ram, 256 gig SSD. And the DJ software is Serato SL3 Box used with the Serato DJ program. I'm also using a Denon USB Controller and turntables with a pioneer mixer, but I dont think any of that matters. The USB powers the Serato box that is plugged in. Which is why I need to know which is more powerful, as hopefully that will help with the drop outs. If they are both the same, i would like help figuring out why I am having drop outs! Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 12, 2015 1:40 PM

12 replies

May 12, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Csound1

Well in my specs it says one is a hi speed USB bus and one is super speed.. And that's how it has been on every other Mac. And that's why there was an article written on it. One powers certain things within the laptop which makes it the one you don't want to use with the program.. So unless they changed things, you are wrong. And yes it is USB powered and always has been and has worked fine on every other Mac I've owned and works fine for every other DJ in the world.. The box is 800 dollars, it's not the box, it's the Mac.

May 12, 2015 2:20 PM in response to Csound1

Are you here to help or to be a troll? As I stated earlier, the article was written before my model came out, since I have the newest model.. And apple has changed which port is the better port on every model MacBook they have released.. If someone who actually knows what they are talking about could help, that would be awesome.

May 12, 2015 3:38 PM in response to DJSleepyT

I agree with Csound1 when he says none are more powerful. From the specs for the Macbook Pro (http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro)

Connections and Expansion User uploaded file

15-inch model shown

• MagSafe 2 power port
  • Two Thunderbolt 2 ports (up to 20 Gbps)
  • Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
  • HDMI port
  • Headphone port
  • SDXC card slot
  • Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (sold separately)
  • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (sold separately)

What specs are you referring to when you say "Well in my specs it says one is a hi speed USB bus and one is super speed."?

May 12, 2015 6:12 PM in response to DJSleepyT

I've heard that this issue of having differently powered USB ports exists in the Mac mini due to posts of users with problems connecting a high-power device such as an iPad and the device showing the "not charging" message on the iPad. Plugging into a different USB port on the mini usually fixes this issue.

That being said, I've never heard of differently powered USB ports on any MacBook and have seen no such thing on my MacBook Pro (Late 2011) either.

May 12, 2015 6:14 PM in response to SergZak

SergZak wrote:

I've heard that this issue of having differently powered USB ports exists in the Mac mini due to posts of users with problems connecting a high-power device such as an iPad and the device show the "not charging" message on the iPad. Plugging into a different port usually fixes this issue.

That being said, I've never heard of differently powered USB ports on any MacBook and see no such thing on my MacBook either.

USB ports have to conform to the USB spec, they all provide the same output (if they are of the same type) USB 2 can supply 0.5 amp, USB 3 0.9 amp, dedicated charging only ports (of which there are none on an MBP) can supply 1.5 amp. These are continuous figures, not peak.

The ports are the same, the article the OP read is junk.

May 12, 2015 6:34 PM in response to Csound1

Agreed. It could also be that the "dongle/Soundcard box (Serato SL3)" that the OP is using is simply demanding more power than the ports are spec'd for or can supply...due to improper design or maybe even a hardware fault in the dongle itself.

The specs for the Rane SL3 state "Power Req: 400 mA, 5.0 Volts" from the website here:

http://serato.com/hardware/rane-sl3

So any USB 2.0 port should provide more than enough power. It also appears that it uses it's own power supply as well and is not solely powered by the USB port.

May 12, 2015 6:37 PM in response to SergZak

My son is a successful DJ, and a Serato user (although he uses the SL4 rather than the SL2) it is bus powered and consumes 500Ah, an easy task for any USB port unless many other devices share the same bus. he just came back from a China/Japan tour, carrying 2 MBP's and 2 SL4's, external + bus power all the way. The SL4's were connected to external rather than bus power.

May 12, 2015 6:49 PM in response to DJSleepyT

DJSleepyT wrote:

I'm also using a Denon USB Controller and turntables with a pioneer mixer, but I dont think any of that matters. The USB powers the Serato box that is plugged in.

Are you powering everything that is USB powered from the MacBook's USB port? If so, you could very well be maxing out the port's capability to provide ample power.

Jul 31, 2015 11:39 AM in response to DJSleepyT

I'm trying to figure out the same thing on my retina. It's not about how much power, it because one of the usb ports is actually in a hub with the laptops keyboard, trackpad and i-sight camera. If you plug an multi-channel audio device in such as a rane sl3, you can get usb dropouts if you use the one that is on the internal hub. I'm not sure if its like this on the retina, but if I do it on my older unibody I get latency issues and audio dropouts.

Which is the preferred (more powerful) USB port on my new (early 2015) MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.