Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Damaged iPhoto library, Library Manager chokes on .mov and .avi

I'll try to find a user community for iPhoto Library Manager too, since this question might be more relevant there. But my situation is as follows:

• A large iPhoto library of 150GB dating back several iterations of iPhoto, Mac OS X, etc.
  • iPhoto 9.6.1 on Yosemite didn't like the library, hung on migrating it
  • I'm trying to rebuild the library with iPhoto Library Manager, which runs iPhoto to import the old data
  • But the problem is that every 2 minutes or so, iPhoto chokes on "unreadable files" which appear to be all .avi and .mov video files
  • I can't sit at my computer and click "OK" forever while this silly thing runs

Any suggestions for a cranky iPhoto library?

Has anyone just jettisoned the entire iPhoto file structure and just imported all their image and movie files from scratch? I almost feel like that might be quicker, just leaving behind all the internal file structure iPhoto has erected but obviously keeping the precious pictures and videos themselves.

Thanks!

-Ryan

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mid-2010

Posted on May 12, 2015 5:24 PM

8 replies

May 12, 2015 5:34 PM in response to Ryan Edwards

Just to clarify, iPhoto doesn't "migrate" your Libray. You probably mean Photos migrating your iPhoto Library to it's own Photos Library.

If you're trying to use iPhoto Library Manager on the new Photos Library STOP! They're not compatible. The developer has a new app that is compatible with Photos.

MY suggestion would be to let Photos complete the migration (takes a long time!). Then compare what didn't transfer; create a Smart Event for those file extensions in iPhoto; Export the Originals to Finder, then use QuickTime to convert them (en masse) to a compatible m4p format..

May 13, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Ryan Edwards

Launch iPhoto and try to export a couple of movies via the File ➙ Export ➙ File Export menu option with Kind = Original. See if you get an error message like this:

User uploaded file

which means the library is trying to find the original file in the Previews folder.

If you don't you may have to export all of the movie files out of the library, delete them from the library, rebuild with iPLM and then import them back into the newly rebuild library.

Have you tried rebuilding the library with iPhoto?

User uploaded file

May 14, 2015 1:28 AM in response to Ryan Edwards

I think there are so many ways that iphoto can go wrong that it would make sense to be warned and advised in advance. As much as I respect old toad it would be interesting if the complete story could be told. I am dyslexic I have some inkling of what has gone wrong with my iphoto 1. I found iphoto manager on our hard drive thinking it was another advantage or option being withheld by my husband the amount of reading and understanding required is overwhelming.

I just want to,take pics and be creative. Be careful

May 14, 2015 7:47 AM in response to mrynelson

mrynelson wrote:

I think there are so many ways that iphoto can go wrong that it would make sense to be warned and advised in advance. As much as I respect old toad it would be interesting if the complete story could be told. I am dyslexic I have some inkling of what has gone wrong with my iphoto 1. I found iphoto manager on our hard drive thinking it was another advantage or option being withheld by my husband the amount of reading and understanding required is overwhelming.

I just want to,take pics and be creative. Be careful

And do you have a question or something useful to add to this discussion?

LN

May 15, 2015 3:41 PM in response to Rysz

Thanks to Rysz and Old Toad for help. I'm still mid-stream on really resolving this problem, but I wanted to clear up the issue that's in the thread title.

iPhoto Library Manager (IPLM) had not been fully updated on my machine. Now that I've updated it to v4.2.1, it appears able to "rebuild" (i.e., read and copy) my 150 GB iPhoto Library, so far choking only on one .JPG and a bunch of .PICT images and seemingly no longer having problems with .MOV or .AVI files.

I say "appears" and "seemingly" because I haven't successfully completed the process yet. The last time I tried it, I started IPLM in the evening and later went to bed, woke up to find that it had hung on a PICT image, then kept it going, but then the machine rebooted itself when it failed to wake from sleep and generated an error report to that effect. This is a mid-2010 15" MBP with known video card issues, and I can't wait to retire this old veteran machine given the shape that it's in.

I gather Rysz suggests instead either using the new Photos app or the new IPLM called "PowerPhotos" to migrate my 150 GB iPhoto Library. I haven't tried either yet but will explore.

Damaged iPhoto library, Library Manager chokes on .mov and .avi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.