Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign in to Apple Store

Why cant I sign in to the app store? Is it because my payment method is "None"..is it really necessary to put a your credit card?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on May 12, 2015 6:28 PM

17 replies

May 13, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Ziiiing

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try to sign in to the store. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

May 14, 2015 3:41 AM in response to Linc Davis

5/14/15 6:26:15.471 PM SearchProtection[177]: [CopyAvailableUpdate] Invalid remote property list file

5/14/15 6:26:15.471 PM SearchProtection[177]: No updates available

--these are the only things that showed up

maybe these are also included

5/14/15 6:32:22.763 PM com.apple.ShareKitHelper[314]: --warning: [ShareKit-XPC] Received XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INVALID

5/14/15 6:32:22.765 PM com.apple.ShareKitHelper[314]: --warning: [ShareKit-XPC] connectionWithClientInterrupted

5/14/15 6:32:22.766 PM com.apple.ShareKitHelper[314]: --warning: [ShareKit] Cancel UI for running services with Client PID: 306

5/14/15 6:38:15.686 PM Dock[144]: LaunchPad: __53-[LPAppManager(StoreSupport) _acceptStoreConnection:]_block_invoke_0 app store xpc message error: Connection invalid

May 14, 2015 5:58 AM in response to Linc Davis

I am also experiencing the same issue. Using Mavericks 10.9.5. All other three workstations can access the App Store with no trouble (they don't have to sign in). We have never had an Apple I.D. in our Electronic Prepress Dept. We all have been able to download security updates without signing in, but now my iMac won't allow it. Tried zapping the PRAM yesterday, multiple restarts, restarting in Safe Mode, running Disk Utility, signing out/signing back in...all to no avail. I do have a personal Apple I.D. that I use for my own purchases at home and on my iPhone/iPad/iMac, but I see no reason why I should have to use that here at work. And I'm also unable to even create an Apple I.D. The screen just remains blank. I'm perplexed! If you have anything else I can try, please let me know. Thanks!

Stephanie

Here is the text from the Console when I try to sign in:

5/14/15 7:48:38.411 AM com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[1086]: NSURLConnection/CFURLConnection HTTP load failed (kCFStreamErrorDomainSSL, -9813)

5/14/15 7:48:38.470 AM storeagent[248]: NSURLConnection/CFURLConnection HTTP load failed (kCFStreamErrorDomainSSL, -9813)

5/14/15 7:48:38.641 AM storeagent[248]: NSURLConnection/CFURLConnection HTTP load failed (kCFStreamErrorDomainSSL, -9813)

5/14/15 7:48:38.732 AM storeagent[248]: NSURLConnection/CFURLConnection HTTP load failed (kCFStreamErrorDomainSSL, -9813)

5/14/15 7:48:39.236 AM com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[1090]: CKSoftwareMap: Registering with Daemon

5/14/15 7:48:39.372 AM storeagent[248]: NSURLConnection/CFURLConnection HTTP load failed (kCFStreamErrorDomainSSL, -9813)

5/14/15 7:48:39.394 AM com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[1090]: NSURLConnection/CFURLConnection HTTP load failed (kCFStreamErrorDomainSSL, -9813)

5/14/15 7:48:42.168 AM com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[1090]: NSURLConnection/CFURLConnection HTTP load failed (kCFStreamErrorDomainSSL, -9813)

May 14, 2015 9:15 AM in response to Ziiiing

There may be other issues, but you installed the "Trovi," "Conduit," or "SearchProtect" ad-injection malware. Follow the instructions on this Apple Support page to remove it.

Back up all data before making any changes.

Besides the files listed in the linked support article, you may also need to remove these files in the same way:

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/searchplugins/MyBrand.xml
~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/External Extensions/fjadmdmahkpbhgbmmkiiaanlnlekelmn.json
~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/Extensions/{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}/deacruzemiliano@outlook.com

One of the steps in the article is to remove malicious Safari extensions. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those. If Safari crashes on launch, skip that step and come back to it after you've done everything else.

If you don't find any of the files or extensions listed, or if removing them doesn't stop the ad injection, then you may have one of the other kinds of adware covered by the support article. Follow the rest of the instructions in the article.

Make sure you don't repeat the mistake that led you to install the malware. Chances are you got it from an Internet cesspit such as "Softonic" or "CNET Download." Never visit either of those sites again. You might also have downloaded it from an ad in a page on some other site. The ad would probably have included a large green button labeled "Download" or "Download Now" in white letters. The button is designed to confuse people who intend to download something else on the same page. If you ever download a file that isn't obviously what you expected, delete it immediately.

"SearchProtect" may be distributed along with two other applications: "MacKeeper," which is a scam, and "ZipCloud," which, if not actually a scam, has a dubious reputation. Ask if you need instructions to remove those items.

In the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences, select the General tab. The radio button marked Anywhere should not be selected. If it is, click the lock icon to unlock the settings, then select one of the other buttons. After that, don't ignore a warning that you are about to run or install an application from an unknown developer.

Still in System Preferences, open the App Store or Software Update pane and check the box marked

Install system data files and security updates (OS X 10.10 or later)

or

Download updates automatically (OS X 10.9 or earlier)

if it's not already checked.

May 14, 2015 4:55 PM in response to Ziiiing

Back up all data to at least two different storage devices, if you haven't already done so. One backup is not enough to be safe. The backups can be made with Time Machine or with Disk Utility. Preferably both.

Erase and install OS X. This operation will destroy all data on the startup volume, so you had be better be sure of the backups. If you upgraded from an older version of OS X, you'll need the Apple ID and password that you used, so make a note of those before you begin.

When you restart, you'll be prompted to go through the initial setup process in Setup Assistant. That’s when you transfer the data from a backup.

Select only users in the Setup Assistant dialog—not Applications, Computer & Network Settings, or Other files and folders. Don't transfer the Guest account, if it was enabled.

After that, check the App Store for software updates.

If the problem is resolved after the clean installation, reinstall third-party software selectively. I can only suggest general guidelines. Self-contained applications that install into the Applications folder by drag-and-drop or download from the App Store are usually safe. Anything that comes packaged as an installer or that prompts for an administrator password is suspect, and you must test thoroughly after reinstalling each such item to make sure you haven't restored the problem.

I strongly recommend that you never reinstall commercial "security" products or "utilities," nor any software that changes the user interface or the behavior of built-in applications such as Safari. If you do that, the problem is likely to recur.

Any system modifications that you do choose to install must be kept up to date. None is required for normal operation.

Before installing any software, ask yourself the question: "Am I sure I know how to uninstall this without having to wipe the volume again?" If the answer is "no," stop.

Never install any third-party software unless you know how to uninstall it.

Can't sign in to Apple Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.