Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

extSSD and iMac issues?

I am looking to use an external SSD for use as my main storage for use over a Thunderbolt cable to my iMac. I would like to know if there are any issues like TRIM with this setup and my hardware please?

I have an iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) and would like to use an Crucial MX200 1TB through a Thunderbolt cable.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 16GB RAM, late 2011

Posted on May 12, 2015 9:43 PM

4 replies

May 14, 2015 12:14 PM in response to Hamper

TRIM or Garbage collection would be handled with the included software that comes with the drive. When installed in a computer you run the software to handle trim. You would have to check if the software works with the drive as an external drive.

May 14, 2015 12:20 PM in response to Hamper

Your profile indicates you are still using Mavericks 10.9.1, you can still use TRIM if you want. However if you have upgraded to Yosemite you can still install TRIM but at the risk of lowering security. OWC (www.macsales.com) sells SSDs that use the SandForce 228x Series controller. This controller makes the need for TRIM not necessary.

If TRIM is a primary issue then I'd recommend against the Crucial particularly if you plan to or already are on Yosemite and go with the OWC solution.

extSSD and iMac issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.