Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used the dictation feature but would like to know how to retrieve the dictation. Will it be typed?

After using the dictation feature for the first time, I do not know how to retrieve the dictation.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 13, 2015 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2015 5:46 AM

What do you mean by "retrieve the dictation"?

Normally, dictation is accessed within an application like TextEdit or Pages. If the computer has dictated your speech, then the words will be in the current document.

If you don't have a text document with the words in it, then it sounds like OS X wasn't using Dictation.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2015 5:46 AM in response to racheck

What do you mean by "retrieve the dictation"?

Normally, dictation is accessed within an application like TextEdit or Pages. If the computer has dictated your speech, then the words will be in the current document.

If you don't have a text document with the words in it, then it sounds like OS X wasn't using Dictation.

May 13, 2015 6:44 AM in response to racheck

TextEdit is a simple word processor: you will find it in Applications folder. (Finder windows will have a sidebar listing useful folders, including the Applications folder. Otherwise, it is available from the Go menu.

Pages is another word processor with many more features: if it is not in the Applications folder, then you will need to download it from the Mac App Store (Apple menu > App Store). It should be free for new Macs.

I used the dictation feature but would like to know how to retrieve the dictation. Will it be typed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.