Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

alternative to time capsule? I want to backup laptop wirelessly without TimeCapule/AirportExtreme

alternative to time capsule? I want to backup laptop wirelessly without TimeCapule/AirportExtreme?

--I have been wondering if it is possible to use a router (example: TP-Link ) & an external hard drive (example: seagate for time machine) instead of paying hundreds for the time capsule?

Posted on May 13, 2015 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2015 2:55 AM

For Time Machine the TC is very well priced.. it is actually very competitive.

TM is not so reliable to non-apple destination.

People often find you need to restart the backup every few months..

And the TP-Link would have to support AFP and Time Machine.. I doubt that it does.. a few brands are offering TM support.. be a bit nevous about the actual level of support.

You can use a different backup software of course that is less particular.. Carbon Copy Cloner for example is much more reliable and less painful.. However the extra cost of the license needs to be added.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2015 2:55 AM in response to ojasso100

For Time Machine the TC is very well priced.. it is actually very competitive.

TM is not so reliable to non-apple destination.

People often find you need to restart the backup every few months..

And the TP-Link would have to support AFP and Time Machine.. I doubt that it does.. a few brands are offering TM support.. be a bit nevous about the actual level of support.

You can use a different backup software of course that is less particular.. Carbon Copy Cloner for example is much more reliable and less painful.. However the extra cost of the license needs to be added.

Nov 28, 2015 1:33 AM in response to maxhodges

it's not well priced if it fails to work after a short time. Have you read any of the reviews?

I agree.. but people also need to work on how other products work.. and if they are less reliable.. particularly with Time Machine.

Personally I now use Synology NAS.. but I also have a TC.. it has been quite reliable.. after the 3rd replacement..

For reliable backups, I also use Carbon Copy Cloner to local USB. But TM still does incrementals the best.

I also believe in having applecare.. so simply go to the effort to make sure the TC is covered for 3years.. if it fails return it immediately for replacement.

Much of the problem is not the TC alone but Apple later OS networking is suffering from radical changes Apple is trying to make.

eg. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-yo u-can-do-to-fix-it/

Backup over network has gone downhill since Snow Leopard.. and if you read around it also has to do with apple sticking to HFS+ as an outdated and outworn file format.

http://michalmoroz.com/writing/exploring-time-machine-hfs-plus/

In terms of a wireless backup target for TM.. you can buy a Synology NAS plus a wireless router.. plus the required hard disk/s and you will end up with a better faster system.. reliable.. no so sure.. but it sure is a lot more expensive.

In the end network backups over wireless are perhaps a bridge to far as long as wireless is still in a state of shock from all the changes .. upgrade to laptops leaving the wireless non-functional or unreliable.

Nov 28, 2015 1:42 AM in response to LaPastenague

it's all rather unfortunate isn't it. I have 3 Apple machines at my small office I was considering for TC, but considering the poor review--I may have to replace the thing several times and they it may not work after OS upgrades, I don't have time to monkey around with this stuff all the time. I'm going to get a few G-technology G-Drives instead.

Apparently $200 billion in cash isn't enough to make Time Capsule reliable. 😝

alternative to time capsule? I want to backup laptop wirelessly without TimeCapule/AirportExtreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.