Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibook G4 missing icons

I rebooted my ibook G4 and when It restarted none of my icons appeared back on the screen. My backdrop picture appears and the toolbar icons appear - but the toolbar icons don't work. This happened once before about 5 years ago. I don't remember the fix - I think it was hitting a couple of keys. Any suggestions?

Posted on May 13, 2015 9:11 AM

9 replies

May 13, 2015 9:16 AM in response to mikech

The Finder has failed to load. Try re-booting the machine. Press the power button - this may being up the dialog box to shut down or restart. If it doesn't you will have to force a shut down by holding the power button down for several seconds. It may then reboot properly. If it does there may be some corruption, so you should restart from your install CD, and choose 'Disk Utility' from the 'Utilities' menu, and run Disk Repair.

May 13, 2015 12:11 PM in response to mikech

You are actually booted from the install disk (you can't repair the disk if you are booted from it)? Does the hard disk icon show up at all? I'm not sure what actions you can perform when booted from the install disk (and you haven't identified the operating system - it can make a difference to how things work). You may not be able to access the contents of the disk at all easily - do you have a backup?

May 13, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

As for the operating system OX 10.4.11, I believe it was the most recent update that they had for the ibook G4 before they stopped doing updates. I do not have a HD icon anywhere. I did a back up of some of my documents a few months ago, but I don't use this laptop to often - is there a way I can get to those items? They I think I need to get a new laptop 😟

May 13, 2015 1:22 PM in response to mikech

I've looked at my Tiger manual. I'm assuming that you have booted from the install disk by holding the 'C' key down during boot. You would then run Disk Utility from the install disk. When you click on the 'First Aid' tab there should be a column on the left in which the name of your hard disk should appear. If it's there, click once to select it and then the 'Repair Disk' button at bottom right should become clickable. You may be able to get the disk working, but if you can you should copy data off immediately as it is likely to fail at any time.

If your hard disk does not appear in on the left then it has presumably failed and so Disk Utility can't see it it. If this is the case I doubt you are going to be able to retrieve anything from it. There are firms who offer rescue services and may be able to retrieve data but it's liable to be very expensive. There are other programs such as TechTool Pro and DiskWarrior which are more powerful than Disk Utility but they're not cheap and if the disk has actually failed they won't do any good - they can only repair Directory corruption.

ibook G4 missing icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.