Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A question about synchronizing the iPhone

Hello

When I connect my iPhone to my iMac how is the synchronizing process? What I mean is: is my iMac synchronised to the iPhone (data from iPhone is transferred to the iMac) or is it the other way iPhone will be synchronised to the iMac?

I have the feeling that data is missing after a sync.

hans

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on May 13, 2015 11:34 AM

11 replies

May 13, 2015 12:15 PM in response to hanyvo

An iTunes sync transfers content from your computer to your iPhone. This includes music, videos, and apps.

To transfer photos from the iPhone to the phone use a Mack photo app or Image transfer.

If you have set it to sync contacts and calendar with an app on your computer then this sync is 2 way. However, if you have enabled iCloud sync then this will override the iTunes sync. There is no other sync from iPhone to iTunes.

May 13, 2015 2:18 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for your answer, although this is not what I want my devices to do when they synchronise. In the settings section of iTunes -My Phone sidebar; info- there is an Advanced section you can choose to replace contacts and/or Calendars on this Phone. When checked contacts and/or calendars of the iMac are transferred to the iPhone, but what happens when you don't check?

What do you mean with: "..If you have set it to sync contacts and calendar with an app on your computer..." which app? I don't use iCloud anymore

hans

May 13, 2015 2:22 PM in response to hanyvo

If you don't use iCloud you can have iTunes sync contacts and calendar with Mac Address Book and iCal, respectively. If you do not check the "overwrite" box it is a true sync; any additions or changes on the iPhone will update on the Mac, and vice versa. And if you update the same entry on both you will get a conflict message during sync, and you will be asked which one you want to keep. The sync also applies to Reminders and Notes.

May 30, 2015 12:07 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I thought this problem was solved, but I only checked a few contacts.

I just made a synchronisation with my iMac and left the "overwrite" box unchecked. The result is: none of the contacts in my iPhone are copied to the computer. The other place they are stored is iCloud. So: what went wrong? The calenderdata on the iPhone and iMac are identical. I want the same data on my iMac and iPhone. Is this possible?

Thanks again for your help.

Hans

A question about synchronizing the iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.