Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages '09 after OS upgrade

I have been using Pages '09, and prefer it for professional reasons. When I upgraded to 10.10.3, I could no longer open anything in Pages '09. I can still save to Pages '09 but I always get an error message when I try to open Pages '09.

User uploaded file

I've tried to re-install, but I still get an error that this OS won't run it. Help? I am desperate for the features in the old Pages that they eliminated in the new.

Lissa

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on May 13, 2015 1:15 PM

13 replies

May 13, 2015 1:27 PM in response to lissaj31

You need to upgrade to or purchase the current version of iWork from the App Store.

The iWork apps are free with a new iOS device since 1 SEP 2013. They are free with a new Mac since 1 OCT 2013. They are also free with the upgrade to OS X Mavericks 10.9 if you had the previous version installed when you upgraded.

iWork and iLife for Mac come free with every new Mac purchase. Existing users running Mavericks can update their apps for free from the Mac App Store℠. iWork and iLife for iOS are available for free from the App Store℠ for any new device running iOS 7, and are also available as free updates for existing users. GarageBand for Mac and iOS are free for all OS X Mavericks and iOS 7 users. Additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available for a one-time in-app purchase of $4.99 for each platform.

May 13, 2015 1:51 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy, I went to Pages (v5) and opened a document. Saved (exported) as a Pages '09. Went to the file itself (not through Pages) and clicked on it. It opened in Pages v 5. I closed that. Went to the file again, and hit Command-I. It says to open it in Pages 4.3. But it's not. It's always, only opening in the new Pages.

In my Applications folder, I have the Pages '09 as an app. I double click on that, and the error message above shows up.

May 13, 2015 2:40 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for hanging in, Kappy.

Tried that too. Same error message. I even went to a file that's a few months old that has never been opened in anything but Pages '09. Same error message. I'm thinking it might have to do with the library. In the details of the reason it won't open, it says, "Library not loaded."

I have a friend with the same problem. Both of us, when we upgraded to Yosemite, we lost everything (temporarily). The upgrade trashed our font libraries so all our documents were gibberish. Genius bar had to re-load the new version, and voila! Font libraries back. But Pages '09 won't open. I'm beginning to suspect that might be the problem.

May 13, 2015 3:13 PM in response to Kappy

I had tried re-installing the old version from my backup drive, but even that didn't work. However, going back in time and restoring the iWork Applications support file in Library WORKED. Now I can go back to being happy and calm. Thanks, though. I'd tried everything you suggested before, but because of your suggestions tried again. If I had not had you telling me to do what I already knew, I wouldn't have dug deeper to find the real issue. So thanks again for your time.

May 13, 2015 3:38 PM in response to lissaj31

Yosemite requires Pages '09 v4.3.

If your Pages '09 was originally installed from DVD, and you tried to reinstall it/copy it from a backup drive/Time Machine, it won't work. It must be reinstalled from the iWork '09 DVD (due to dependent system libraries) and immediately thereafter, you must apply the Apple iWork 9.3 update. I would follow that with a Disk Utility verify/repair permissions on your boot drive. Then, reboot. Now, unless you have some other problem that is affecting Pages '09, it should launch like a affection starved puppy.

On the otherhand, if your copy of Pages '09 on your backup medium was obtained from the OS X App Store, and you did not update it before October 2013, it may be a version too old for Yosemite, and with no way to update it now. Using the preceding iWork 9.3 update on an OS X App Store version of Pages will upgrade to Pages '09 v4.3, and no dependent system libraries, so it just dies in place. Don't go there.

Pages documents do not store the version of Pages that created/edited them. A double-click of a Pages document icon on Yosemite, will always open it in the version of Pages located in the /Applications folder, which will be Pages v5, if installed. Missing index.xml dialogs are the attempt to open a Pages v5 document in Pages '09.

Pages '09 after OS upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.