Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing full resolution photos

I share a lot of photos with my girlfriend, friends and family. I use to use shared photo streams until I realized that photos were re-scaled to a lower resolution. I have then used a mix of dropbox, google drive and air drop to share pictures as I cannot compromise on quality. However, when iCloud Drive and then Photos and iCloud Photo Sharing were released, I thought I would finally be able to go back to an Apple solution. However, I have just realized to my complete disbelief that iCloud Photo Sharing also re-scale photos to a lower resolution (max 2048 pixels on the long end). While I understand the limitation for people getting the service for free, I am a paying iCloud Drive customers and I cannot for the life of me understand why Apple, especially with its focus on retina display, doesn't offer a way to share full resolution pictures (which would likely use my iCloud Drive storage). I know I am not the only one bothered by this so does anyone has any idea how to fix this other than going back to using (better) cloud service like Dropbox or GDrive?

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 13, 2015 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2017 2:25 PM

There is no issue to resolve - iCloud Photos sharing is not advertised to nor is it designed to share large resolution photos - it is designed to share max 2048 pixel on the on dimension photos and that is exactly what it does - iCloud Photo Sharing - Apple Support

LN

40 replies

Aug 5, 2017 2:12 PM in response to TroyDC

No- it is a free service and the maximums are set by Apple -- My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing limits - Apple Support -- iCloud Photo Sharing - Apple Support

Shared album storage limits

A shared album can hold up to 5000 photos and videos. If you reach your iCloud Photo Sharing limit, you need to delete some photos or videos before adding new ones. The photos and videos you share (and the comments or likes associated with those photos) stay in iCloud until you or the contributor delete them manually, or until you delete the shared album completely.

The photos and videos in your shared albums are kept in iCloud, but they don't count against your iCloud storage limit.

User uploaded file

File types that you can use in iCloud Photo Sharing

iCloud Photo Sharing supports JPEG, RAW, PNG, GIF, TIFF, and MP4, as well as special formats you capture with your iPhone, like slo-mo, time-lapse, 4K videos, and Live Photos. You can even share your Memory videos. When shared, photos taken with standard point-and-shoot cameras, SLR cameras, or iOS devices have up to 2048 pixels on the long edge. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

iCloud Photo Sharing supports both MP4 and QuickTime video file types, and H.264 and MPEG-4 Video file formats. Videos can be up to five minutes in length and are delivered at up to 720p resolution.

You can't upload RAW photos to iCloud Photo Sharing on your Windows PC

THere are many ways to share full resolution photos including email, dropbox, maildrop, both using iCloud Photo Library with the same Apple ID and on and on and on - iCloud Photos sharing is not one of them and it is well documented how it works and why it works that way

LN

Feb 12, 2017 2:14 PM in response to alexhenry2006

Was this issue ever resolved? If I understand correctly, I too have the same question.

How can you share full resolution photos and videos from iPhone to iPhone remotely? From what I've seen, sending it via iMessage and sharing it via iCloud reduces the resolution and sending via Maildrop requires an Apple email address and still restricts you to 5GB. The only other Apple solution that I know of is Airdrop but we live in different areas so that won't do.

Am I missing anything?

Jun 14, 2017 5:46 AM in response to alexhenry2006

What a shame!

I have a shared album of my newborn that I have shared with roughly 50 family members across the globe.

Tonight, for the first time, I tried taking a look at them on my new 10.5 iPad Pro.

Oh my!!!!! They looked horrible!!! As an avid photographer (Canon 80D), I do take pride in my photos. I cannot believe how horrendous they look on an iPad. Is Apple kidding?

I feel I need to find a better sharing service. What a shame. Apple always makes some weird decisions.

Jun 15, 2017 6:10 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hey again!

This is very interesting, but I just checked the shared iCloud photo folder on my partner's ipad mini.

Photo Sharing was turned off, and I just turned it on.

The photos are a much better resolution!

Not perfect. But clearer.

I am going to try to turn off sharing on my new 10.5 ipad Pro and put it back. Very weird.

I also just checked my 12" MacBook and the photos are better as well.

They were all originally uploaded through my iphone 7 Plus.

I will try turning off Photo Sharing and putting it back. Maybe clearer photos will download!

Thanks for helping out with this!

Jun 15, 2017 7:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

LOL!...Definitely not expanded thumbnails.

And the problem was SOLVED, by disabling and re-enbabling photo sharing!

A thumbnail image expanded to the iPad's 2,224x1,886 screen would probably look like a jpeg compressed to 10%, or like a jagged, pixelated, pile of bricks.

This was more subtle, but still very noticeable.

I have a third 10.5 iPad to install today, and I am sure I could replicate the exact behaviour.

I may even take a screen shot to illustrate.

Very bizarre.

At least it's solved now!

I am noticing that a few apps are also not working well on the 10.5" IPad.

Ebay and Amazon, off the top of my head, seem to think that I am using an iPhone. I can't split the keyboard; it has a big iPhone-style keyboard; and the app looks like an enlarged iPhone app.

It's almost as if there is something in the new 10.5 iPad Pro that is "tricking" some software into thinking it's a low-res screen.

Could be totally unrelated, of course, but low-res photos... old school iPhone keyboard appearing... two world-class apps that behave as if they are iPhone apps (and yes, I downloaded the iPad versions).

I wonder if the 2224x1886 display is messing up some apps.

But "blurry photos" coupled with "Huge iPhone keyboards" in apps like Amazon and ebay lead me to believe that there may be something related going on here.

We shall see! I will write to Apple about the other issues, and I will also point out the iCloud resolution issues!

Thanks again!

Aug 5, 2017 1:08 PM in response to alexhenry2006

I have the same questions... Spoke with a 'Genius' a few weeks ago, but didn't resolve. And both my wife and I have macs and iPhones, so we're simply looking for a way to safely and easily backup the full resolution images of a selected number of photos to a shared place. I've even noticed the Shared Album scales down resolution on iPhone photos (iPhone 7 and 7 Plus) by about 30%! Ridiculous.

Aug 7, 2017 12:32 AM in response to alexhenry2006

Be careful of what you wish for.

Remember, shared photo streams (they're not albums) are pushed to everyone's devices that subscribe. Not only that, but if the subscriber has Photos set to use mobile data (default), this will eat into a data plan.

What would be really nice is if the subscriber could long/force press on the photo and have an option to download the high resolution version to the device. This would require no additional data storage on Apple's part as it's a download from the original iCloud photo.

It would be even nicer if these were true shared albums. Where the administrator could sort, reorder and decide whether subscribers had access to the optimised, edited or unedited originals.

But, that would be a lot to ask of the world's biggest company by market capitalisation.

Edit : A macOS device could be set to automatically download the maximum resolution available. This would allow backup of shared family albums (for example).

May 13, 2015 12:31 PM in response to LarryHN

I'm sorry, but this is not very simple, it's extremely cumbersome. We are talking about hundreds if not thousands of pictures here, emailing would take forever and be beyond inconvenient. Both Dropbox and Google Drive allow all your photos taken with your phone to be automatically uploaded and then sharing is pain free and can be done in seconds.

Sharing full resolution photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.