Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto photo book has vertical lines on some photos

Help! I am just finishing a 100-page photo book containing 450 photos. I am in the final edit and hope to order book today.

Suddenly I have thin vertical lines on left pages which go through all photos. One line on some pages, 2 lines on others spaced a few inches apart, both running vertically. I tried closing iPhoto and re-opening. Vertical lines are now on left side, and were on right before I closed and re-opened. Lines almost appear as if a different photo was on page prior and it never entirely disappeared. It appears line is the same on each page, partially white and partially blue, which seems like a thin slice of the same photo.

the only thing I just did was move about 5 photos from Dropbox onto desktop, then import to iPhoto.

Seems like a glitch. Any suggestions? Thank you.

iPhoto 9.5.1

Mac OSX 10.9.5

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 13, 2015 1:44 PM

5 replies

May 18, 2017 9:38 PM in response to lauraLOW

This drove me crazy til today. I'm an avid photographer. No way to get my pics onto my iPad except via email. most of pics have black lines on the right side ruining my future posts. I found a couple of "sometimes works" fixes and then I discovered this today.

Download Photoshop Express. It's free from Adobe. Simple pull your bad pics in, resave them, and viola, lines magically disappear. As a matter of fact, when you're selecting the pics from your gallery, they don't even appear!!

I Have no idea what's up with the iPad. Looks like the files are actually undamaged, but for some reason the iPad is showing and posting them damaged. Strange.

I Hope this helps all of you frustrated photographers like me. Purely coincidental that I stumbled on this today.

Follow me on Instagram if you want. Dkeithhowell

May 13, 2015 3:43 PM in response to lauraLOW

Preview and create a pdf file of the book according to this Apple document: iPhoto, Aperture: Previewing an order in iPhoto or Aperture - Apple Support Check the pdf to see if the lines show up. If they don't they won't be in the book when it's printed. Save the pdf file to compare with the printed copy when it arrives.

If the lines do show up in the pdf file do the following:

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down to open the First Aid window. Be sure to follow the circled recommendation in the screenshot.

User uploaded file

2 - apply Option #4, Rebuild Database.

User uploaded file

May 14, 2015 12:15 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you very much. Somehow lines disappeared before I had a chance to Preview. I am getting closer to completion and hope to order the book today.

Another little glitch (perhaps I am working iPhoto too hard) in TEXT BOXES. I am changing some alignment to centre or bottom, depending on how the text appears in a particular box. It always defaults to top, even if I try changing to "Change Everywhere". It will move accordingly when I have text highlighted, then it reverts back to top when I click somewhere else. How can I get the text to, say, have a default of top, but allow me to change an individual box to suit the page?

Thank you again.

iPhoto photo book has vertical lines on some photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.