Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get unpurchased iTunes music from my iPhone to my Mac book pro

I have a windows pc with a cd. Using windows, I can import music from the cd ti iTunes on my l;laptop. then sync to my iPhone. I want to get the music from the cd (now on my iPhone) to my Mac book pro....Itunes help does not address that question.

Thanks...

also I have OS X 10.10.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 13, 2015 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2015 3:25 PM

You will have to search the Internet for third party software to do that. You may post this query in the ITunes for Windows forum and some one may provide you with specific guidance.

Ciao.

9 replies

May 13, 2015 3:46 PM in response to edmackey

There are no Apple employees on these forums, just users like yourself thus these forums are not a showroom or anything of the like. I am not that well versed in the details and minutia of ITunes, especially when used with a PC. In that forum, there probably will be users who are far more familiar with the product than I am and there is a good chance that your query will be answered.

You will note that this is the Macbook Pro forum and it could be properly said that you simply posted in the incorrect forum. You certainly are not obliged to post again in what I believe to be the correct place. It has been my observation that there is no one who possesses all knowledge, Apple or otherwise.

Ciao.

May 14, 2015 7:17 AM in response to edmackey

Overall, the syncing of music with iTunes is one way, from iTunes to the iOS devices. It has always been that way. The only difference is when you purchase music on an iOS device, you can transfer that purchase to an authorized computer iTunes library. You can rip music from a CD to an iTunes library and sync that to an iOS device. iTunes is not designed to receive music from an iOS device back to a computer. As Ogelthorpe stated, it requires 3rd party software to do. Apple did not intend for you to move music from an iOS device back to iTunes, especially on a different computer. There are several 3rd party solutions, Touchcopy is one that works on both the Mac and Windows platforms.

You can also take a look at this user supplied tip regarding moving music in the manner you describe. Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive

May 14, 2015 7:25 AM in response to edmackey

Your i-device was not designed for unique storage of your media. It is not a backup device and media transfer was planned with you maintaining a master copy of your media on a computer which is itself independently backed up against loss. To use a device with a different setup you transfer the old library from a computer or a backup directly to the new setup, not the device to the library. Media syncing is one way, computer to device, updating the device content to the content on the computer, not updating or restoring content on a computer. The exception is iTunes Store purchases which can be transferred to a computer.

iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848 - only purchases from iTunes Store

For transferring other items from an i-device to a computer you will have to use third party commercial software. See this document by turingtest2: Recovering your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3991

Yes, I see this question all the time on the iTunes for Mac forum.

How do I get unpurchased iTunes music from my iPhone to my Mac book pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.