Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring to a new mac assistance

I will be upgrading to a new mac next week. I don't want to do a complete migration via the migration assistant.

But I do want to transfer just a few things such as iTunes, mail and my documents.

Will migration assistant allow me to do just that..... or is it all or nothing?

Posted on May 13, 2015 5:31 PM

4 replies

May 13, 2015 6:21 PM in response to Nathan Guinle

Migration Assistant is an all or nothing. In your case move the data you want on the new iMac onto an external HD and when then drag them from the EHD to the new iMac. Simple! Your e-mail will be more challenging, for that back up to a Time Machine and then connect that EHD to the new machine and restore the mail data to the new machine.

May 13, 2015 6:36 PM in response to Nathan Guinle

It's all or nothing aside from the ability to select a few different items…

Applications, Users & 'other files' can be migrated via Migration Assistant or the Setup Assistant.

Applications has the habit of bringing over all supporting files, which is best avoided if you can stand reinstalling the apps you use.

Users will create a user & move all their data into place. This could work OK for you, unless you have a lot of extra items that you really do not want from the old home folder. This will keep all your old settings.

Other files is data that is kept elsewhere on the disk (it's a bad habit to keep important files a the root of the disk anyway - so this can usually be avoided too).

iTunes is kept in the Music folder, Photos also has your iPhoto/ Photos DB.

If you keep most of your Mail on the server there is very little to migrate. If you have a lot of local mailboxes then you may want to consider making archives of these to make moving simpler.

You may also want to look at Target Disk mode - it makes the process of transferring files faster if you have the appropriate leads (Firewire or Thunderbolt).

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

May 14, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Nathan Guinle

If you login to your webmail & compare the differences to your Mac you may get an idea of what will not migrate if you only setup the email client with the login details (e.g. setup the email account & resync the messages).

Things like mail rules, signatures, viewing preferences & preferred account settings will not migrate unless you move all of Mails settings from a backup. You also want to consider where your contacts are stored if you do a manual migration, they may be synced with the email provider.

Migrating the entire user via Migration Assistant will do all this for you.

Transferring to a new mac assistance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.