Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard not working properly on MacBookPro 5,5 (13inch 2009)

Hi everybody,

First of all please not that none of the articles from apple have helped me so far, and I haven't found anyone else with the same problem as mine !

Please don't link me the "one or few of your keys do not properly or anything, no help for me there !

So, my macbookpro is from mid2009, a 13inch refered to as macbookpro5,5. I'm on Yosemite and it's keyboard suddenly stopped working fine:

I'm on my pc at the moment and this really annoys me. I've never spilled water or any liquid on it. Something very strange happens: some of the keys of the 1st row work, some don't, none of the second and the third do, unless I press Command, but the second row still doesn't work, and the third row writes the second row's letters ! It's making me crazy.

I've already made a fresh install of yosemite, so it's not a software issue, but I think one key is locked in: here is what is writen when i go from the beginning to the end:

@&é"'(§è!-azertyui^$ù

With command key held:

@&é"'(§è!-azertyui^$ùqsdfghjkl

NOTE THAT THE LETTERS SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE SECOND ROW ARE ACTIVATED BY PUSHING THE 3RD WITH COMMAND HELD !

I've done most of what I can find online -no succes- and As i was planning on adding more ram and putting an SSD in it I might aswell change the keyboard.

Any help is appreciated, I really did all I could (but go to apple store, which is miles away from me, and will probably cost a ton of money -train ticket/Repair etc...-

Thanks guys !

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 14, 2015 5:47 AM

2 replies

May 14, 2015 8:55 AM in response to TommyInGame

Try resetting:

Reset SMC

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Reset NVRAM

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Connect a USB keyboard or a BlueTooth keyboard - do they work?

There have been some reports of issues around here w/ Yosemite.

" I think one key is locked in:"

Which one? Shift?

"planning on adding more ram and putting an SSD in it"

I would only use parts from OWC:

https://www.macsales.com/

"I might aswell change the keyboard."

While you can get the keyboards cheap on eBay that's a major job. Apple would replace the entire upper case and that's expensive.

" I've never spilled water or any liquid on it."

Just takes a drop in the wrong place.

May 14, 2015 10:34 AM in response to spudnuty

Resetting NVRAM and SMC... Already done ! never worked (probably because the keys are not even recognized)

"Connect a USB keyboard or a BlueTooth keyboard - do they work?"

USB Does ! But it takes away the portablity of the mac and makes its useless...

"" I think one key is locked in:"

Which one? Shift?"

That's the question, but imagine if a combinaison of Command and alt (exemple...) make the keyboard work this way, would this be possible you think ?

The thing disturbing me is that command thing:

" Here is what is writen when i go from the beginning to the end:

@&é"'(§è!-azertyui^$ù

With command key held:

@&é"'(§è!-azertyui^$ùqsdfghjkl

NOTE THAT THE LETTERS SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE SECOND ROW ARE ACTIVATED BY PUSHING THE 3RD WITH COMMAND HELD ! "

If this wasn't the case i'd just assume that something wen't wrong with ... Humidity maybe ? I live near the see and often work outside...

"Just takes a drop in the wrong place."

I 've never spilled any liquid on it, 100% sure, but i have someone paid to clean my house... Yet I don't see how she could have done that, not tell me and just hope i'd not find it out... (I trust her 100% BTW)

Anyways, thx for the help !

Keyboard not working properly on MacBookPro 5,5 (13inch 2009)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.