Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Revamping Live Mainstage Setup

I am currently using 2 Korg Tritons, a Macbook Pro and a MIDI interface to run my live rig.

I am looking at a modern controller like the Korg Tactile that has some trackpad functionality to get away from using the laptop and moving towards a rack mounted mac mini.

My concerns with the USB controllers is max cable length for power, I don't want to depend on wallwarts onstage.

someone

iPhone 4

Posted on May 14, 2015 6:37 AM

5 replies

May 16, 2015 12:26 PM in response to YPP

I just converted from a Mac Mini (2.5Ghz i5) to a Macbook Pro (2.2Ghz i7). My original thought was to do what you are suggesting. I built a rack and mounted the Mac Mini, an Airport Express and a Radial USB box. I thought I could survive without a monitor, mouse or keyboard. If I needed to address the Mini I could use an iPad running Splashtop or Dual. It never worked reliably. I ended up taking a UPS, a small HDMI monitor and a mouse to gigs. In the end, I realized that I was better off with a laptop. No worries about lose power connections, no fishing for the mouse, no monitor to carry. Initially, I though I was saving money with the Mini. In the end, I spent as much for the setup as I would have for the MBP and it is more reliable and easier to transport.

I use a Nectar Panorama 61 note controller. It is a little bit of a pain to get it functioning with MainStage, but when you do, it's so much easier to work live.

Good luck!

May 16, 2015 12:33 PM in response to YPP

Oh... the length of cables and power supplies. Most of my USB devices (Nektar P6, Line 6 pedal, Radial USB Pro) run on USB power, so there is no need for power supplies. The max cable length is supposed to be about 15 feet. I use a powered USB splitter (yeah, you will need power for that) and that allows me 15 feet to the box and another 15 feet to the instruments. I used to run stereo audio outs to two instruments. power to two instruments, a sustain pedal, a volume pedal and a leslie speed switch up the column of my Apex stand. That's nine cables! Now I run three USB cable (sometime two if I only use one controller).

Revamping Live Mainstage Setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.