Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chapters — How Many Sections can a Chapter Display?

Hello All,

Is there a set amount of sections that a chapter can hold.

I have just hit a section and once I cross 1.20 the section will not display. That is 20 individual Sections within the Chapter.

Yet it will display the section number for Section 1.21 in the chapter but not Section 1.22

Everything works fine with the numbering up to Section 1.19

If I take the Sections and move them around the Section Number issue does not carry forward with it but stays at Section 1.20

Anyone else experience this?

Regards,

Nigel

Posted on May 14, 2015 8:59 AM

3 replies

May 21, 2015 5:17 AM in response to Nigel Baker

Hi Nigel: I had never experienced that, but then again, I'm not sure if I built an iBook with more than 20 sections before. So, I created a test iBook with the Modern Type template and I was able to add 25 sections and preview them on Mac and on iPad. Could it somehow be the template you're using? I doubt it, but I'm not sure what could cause this problem.

May 21, 2015 5:48 AM in response to sb0117

Hello sb017,

Thanks for your reply and for doing a test chapter for me.

Really appreciate the time — the issue is resolved but by an editorial decision to reduce similar like sections into each other to get the amount below the 20 section threshold. So from that point of view it was a good lesson to have to go back over everything and review and edit down.

But still curious as to the why of it all — But deadlines are looming and you have to keep rolling.

Interested in hearing from anyone else that may have experienced any similar issues.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Nigel

May 22, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Nigel Baker

Hello sb0117,

Sorted out the issue.

Like yourself I tried creating some empty chapters with sections in them from the default templates, — all was good and was able to display section numbers beyond 1.20.

Tried applying the same text boxes with the section numbering from the default templates into my working templates and the issue was resolved.

It turned out that the font was being clipped within the text box and so was not displaying the full characters completely.

So as the characters with the wider x-width needed displaying like the 1.20 and the 1.22 the last character was being clipped and not displaying.

So all is fixed now by reducing the font size down a few points.

Thought it would be good to let others be aware of this.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Nigel

Chapters — How Many Sections can a Chapter Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.