Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD upgrade for Mid 2010 iMac 27"

I have a Mid 2010 iMac 27" and I want to upgrade it to an SSD. 1TB or 500GB SSD. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mid 2010 27"

Posted on May 14, 2015 11:46 AM

6 replies

May 14, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Raymondkeefe

Unless you feel comfortable with such a replacement (iMacs are quite difficult), take it to an authorized service provider in your area. If the cost is prohibitive, you might want to consider getting an external drive and booting from that. You could then use your internal as a backup drive.

For do it yourself, check ifixit.com or macsales.com for instructions.

May 14, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Raymondkeefe

Currently, this iMac has 1TB HDD and 4GB RAM. I have to take it to Apple today because it will not boot up to a desktop, or into recovery mode or into safe mode. I have spent all week with Apple Tech Support troubleshooting software conflicts. I did "View Disk" and it came back all green. Did "Verify Disk Permissions" and it needed a repair so I did that. I spent 2 hours with an Apple tech who ran through so many diagnostics, adwaremedic, removed third party apps that are no longer in use. I even installed Yosemite once again. The next step was to wipe the hard drive and do a fresh install of Yosemite and then restore from back up the programs that I need. I started the back up process and xferred documents and programs to a thumb flash drive. When I went to reboot it would not reboot. Gray screen with progress bar and apple but progress bar would not go past half. Called Apple. They tried to boot into recovery mode and safe mode... same thing... 1/2 progress bar and gray apple screen. So today I am taking it into Apple to have whatever done to it.

The 1TB hard drive only had about 250GB used on it. So my question is: What SSD's are recommended? Samsung EVO, Crucial? I have a Samsung 840 EVO 256 in my MacBook, works great!! I am not sure if the same type of SSD will work in this iMac. Also I am considering upping the RAM to 8GB. I am not going to do the SSD upgrade myself... I will take it to have it done.

May 14, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Raymondkeefe

As mentioned I recommend OWC (www.macsales.com) however I think you need to get your issue with your existing drive handled before going off on an SSD tangent. Wait until the Apple Store techs come back with a solution before going down the SSD road.

Also any 2.5" SSD solution will work, there are benchmarks available and all SSD owners have their favorites (myself included) so if you cannot decide on which brand then look into the benchmarks.

SSD upgrade for Mid 2010 iMac 27"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.