Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library Download Error

When going into my iPhone Moments, if I try to click on an older photo to send it (email or text) I get an error that says:

Cannot Download Photo

There was an error downloading this photo from your iCloud Library. Please try again later. [OK]

I have tried multiple times over the past few weeks and still no luck. Anyone have advise on what the error is and how to get the photos again?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 14, 2015 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 6:04 PM

When this happens, and it happens with reasonable frequency, that photo will not fully download to any of my iOS devices. The affected photo cannot be edited on any iOS device since the full resolution download from iCloud fails. An additional symptom is that the download stalls at 25% progress in the Photos browser. The image will, however, download in full resolution via the iCloud Photos web app, and can be edited with Photos for Mac OS X.

I've tried deleting and restoring the photo with Photos on iOS, but that does not fix the photo. I have also tried waiting days to see if some iCloud maintenance task comes along and fixes it. It does not.

The only fix for me has been to edit the photo with Photos for Mac OS X and save it back to the iCloud Photo Library. The photo will then download to all of my iOS devices.

Photos may be out of Beta, but back up your images to be safe. (I keep full resolution images on my iMac.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2015 6:04 PM in response to dansobear

When this happens, and it happens with reasonable frequency, that photo will not fully download to any of my iOS devices. The affected photo cannot be edited on any iOS device since the full resolution download from iCloud fails. An additional symptom is that the download stalls at 25% progress in the Photos browser. The image will, however, download in full resolution via the iCloud Photos web app, and can be edited with Photos for Mac OS X.

I've tried deleting and restoring the photo with Photos on iOS, but that does not fix the photo. I have also tried waiting days to see if some iCloud maintenance task comes along and fixes it. It does not.

The only fix for me has been to edit the photo with Photos for Mac OS X and save it back to the iCloud Photo Library. The photo will then download to all of my iOS devices.

Photos may be out of Beta, but back up your images to be safe. (I keep full resolution images on my iMac.)

iCloud Photo Library Download Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.