Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2011 13-inch MacBook Air display

2" wide vertical stripe of distortion flickers as lid opened and closed

This Macbook Air developed a band about two inches wide that runs up and down just left of the center of the screen. The band or stripe sometimes comes in correctly, but is usually looks like static. It flickers and distorts the color and image as the lid is moved. Touch the like and it becomes active. This tells me it is a hardware issue, likely the LVDS cable between the display and the logic board.

It could be damage to the cable itself or with the connectors where it attaches to the board or the actual display/LCD. Could it simply be loose at the connection at the LCD? To find out would require dissassembling the display, a higly difficult task, speaking from personal experience.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to determine the root of the problem without having to take the display assembly apart.

It would be nice to just replace the cable, but that too requires display disassembly.

Any resources on this repair?

Lastly, is this a known issue with this model?

Thank you.

Chris L.

MacBook Air 13 inch Core i5 (Mid 2011)

Machine Model: MacBookAir4,2

Please visit our facebook page

Family name: A1369

Group1: MacBook

Group2: Air

Generation: 6

CPU speed: 1.7GHz

Screen size: 13 inch

Screen resolution: 1440x900 pixels

Colour: Aluminium

Production year: 2012

Production week: 3 (January)

Model introduced: 2011

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mid 2011 13-inch i5 256gb

Posted on May 14, 2015 1:20 PM

2 replies

Mid 2011 13-inch MacBook Air display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.