Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I downgrade iPhones 5s from ios8.3 to ios 7.1.2 by restoring an ios 7.1.2 backup?

I still have iOs 7.1.2 running on my iPhone 5s. If I make a backup now and then install 8.3 now and notice problems, could I downgrade back to 7.1.2 by restoring the backup?

Most websites say you can not downgrade, but it sounds like they are talking about installing an ipsw rather than restoring a backup...

Thank you...

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on May 14, 2015 12:29 PM

8 replies

May 26, 2015 3:46 AM in response to m.s.a.

The simple answer is no. Anytime Apple releases a newer firmware, they have a very small window in which you may be able to downgrade to a lower firmware. They do this so that once the new phone is released, the older phones become unbearably slower, forcing you to purchase a newer device to maintain what used to be your original speed.

I am borrowing an iPhone 5 right now while my Nexus device is being repaired, and I have been looking for downgrade options, but they are all 3rd party untrusted methods.

So generally speaking, any and all methods of downgrading are not supported by Apple.

Can I downgrade iPhones 5s from ios8.3 to ios 7.1.2 by restoring an ios 7.1.2 backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.