Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express + asus router to extend wifi signal

We have an Apple Airport router hooked up to the telephony modem in the house for the main computer and wifi to a couple of Xbox`s. What we would like to do is use an Asus wireless RT-N66R wireless router to extend the wireless signal to a small shop about 100 feet from where the main computer and Apple Airport Express is located in the house. Is this possible? I tried setting it up with a service rep with Asus but had no luck getting the 2 to link up wirlessly. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on May 14, 2015 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2015 1:03 PM

You cannot extend a wireless network using Apple routers and non-Apple devices or vice-versa. You can only use them in Bridge mode. However, if the Asus device has an Ethernet port to use, then you can run an Ethernet cable from it to a LAN port on the router. It then can be configured to create its own local wireless network. Or, you can return it and use an Airport Express to extend the network from the AEBS.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2015 1:03 PM in response to tplat1229

You cannot extend a wireless network using Apple routers and non-Apple devices or vice-versa. You can only use them in Bridge mode. However, if the Asus device has an Ethernet port to use, then you can run an Ethernet cable from it to a LAN port on the router. It then can be configured to create its own local wireless network. Or, you can return it and use an Airport Express to extend the network from the AEBS.

May 14, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Kappy

How good of a range would another airport express have at extending the range of the wifi signal? Our little work shop is about 100 feet away from the main airport router in the house but gets a poor signal on its own. Right now I`m using a Alpha usb antenna and it gets about 3 bars for signal strength but it sometimes loses signal connection or drops down to 1-2 bars on the laptop in the shop.

May 14, 2015 1:25 PM in response to tplat1229

What we would like to do is use an Asus wireless RT-N66R wireless router to extend the wireless signal to a small shop about 100 feet from where the main computer and Apple Airport Express is located in the house. Is this possible?

Apple uses proprietary settings to "extend a wireless network" that are designed to only allow another Apple wireless router to wirelessly extend the network......so, it is extremely unlikely that any third party product would be compatible for this type of service.

There are no settings or adjustments on the AirPort Extreme to allow another device to extend the network, so it is all up to the Asus device to try to connect and extend the signal. If you spent time with an Asus support person and have been unable to make this work, I think you already have your answer here.

How good of a range would another airport express have at extending the range of the wifi signal?

The problem here is that an extending device is normally located about half way between the main router....an AirPort Extreme, in your case, and the area that needs more wireless coverage.....the shop.

The Express can only extend the quality of signal that it receives, so it would make little sense to install the Express in the shop where the signal is already poor....it will extend the same poor signal.

If you install the Express in your home on an outside wall in the direction of the shop, it may......or may not....work. This is one of those situations where you cannot know if something will work until you try it out.

If wireless won't work, you have little choice but to run an Ethernet cable from the home out to the shop, as Kappy suggests.

May 14, 2015 1:54 PM in response to tplat1229

I`m wondering if the Asus router I bought would work better. It has 3 antennas on it and is dual band.

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be many folks on an Apple support forum that will be able to advise about what an Asus router may or may not do.

It's possible that someone might see your question, and know the answer.....but it is also very unlikely.

Best to ask your Asus wireless range question on an Asus support forum.....but keep in mind that no matter what answer you might receive, you still won't really know how well.....or if....the product will do what you want until you try it out.

May 14, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have an ASUS RT-AC66U that I use as my router. I also have a Time Capsule that works as a bridged access point on the other side of my house. I previously used an Airport Express where the TC is. I have it all set up to do what Apple calls a "Roaming Network", but that requires an Ethernet cable between the devices.

I don't see a huge difference (via WiFi Explorer) in the signal strength between the TC and the ASUS, but again we're talking different models here. As Bob says, you won't really know unless you try it - so might as well.

If there is any way to run an Ethernet cable to the shop location, that would be your best bet.

ASUS has a user forum at http://vip.asus.com/forum/. You can scroll down to "Wireless" (click there) and when the next page comes up, choose the model (RT-N66R) from the pull-down at the upper right.

Jul 29, 2015 9:05 AM in response to tplat1229

I was able to do it using a ASUS AC1750

1. First you connect an ethernet cable into the airport express and configure it to extend a network. While having the ethernet cable from the ASUS router it will detect the wireless network. Save settings.

2. Disconnect ethernet cable and move your airport express to your new location

3. You should be able to see it and make it work.

Enjoy

Airport express + asus router to extend wifi signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.