Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad and iTunes disagree on storage space

When my iPad is plugged into the computer, iTunes tells me that there is 8GB free, even with 2GB being taken up by 'Other.' But, when I look at the iPad itself, the storage does not agree- it only shows 1.9 GB free. Does anyone know why this would happen or how I could fix it? There is nothing on the iPad except for apps and the 'Other' space, and I'd like to be able to use that other 8 GB of storage space. Thanks!

iPad 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 14, 2015 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2015 2:24 PM

Hi CHRM917,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

When you have a disagreement over storage size between your iPad and iTunes, the following article can be of use. Specifically the section "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up". While this isn't the symptoms you are seeing, the steps to force your iPad to restore will get it on the same page as iTunes regarding available memory.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2015 2:24 PM in response to CHRM917

Hi CHRM917,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

When you have a disagreement over storage size between your iPad and iTunes, the following article can be of use. Specifically the section "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up". While this isn't the symptoms you are seeing, the steps to force your iPad to restore will get it on the same page as iTunes regarding available memory.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

iPad and iTunes disagree on storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.