Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TV no longer picking up hdmi signal to Mac mini?

I Have literally had my Mac mini for a few hours

it picked up my hdmi signal straight away...

however, now whenever I try use it, it says no signal and I have to turn the Mac off before I can display hdmi On my TV. How do I fix this???

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 14, 2015 4:34 PM

5 replies

May 15, 2015 1:55 AM in response to Itsdanielsweet

I do not understand. What is the signal to the TV?

You say " I have to turn the Mac off before I can display hdmi On my TV." How can the Mini display on the TV if the Min i s off?

Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

Call Apple you get 90 days of free telephone support

Complimentary Support (USA)

May 15, 2015 2:19 AM in response to lllaass

I didn't explain properly...

I use a HDMI cable to display from Mini to the TV.

But when my mini is ON, and I switch HDMI links (for example plug hdmi from TV into my xbox), and then switch back to mini (whilst it is STILL switched on) it says No Signal on my TV and I have to turn off the Mac mini and then on again, to get it to display on my tv...

Aug 2, 2015 5:28 PM in response to Itsdanielsweet

Same problem as the OP, except that I have a separate cable for each input. Also, I sometimes VNC into the mac mini from my iPad.

I want to leave the computer on, and just switch the TV input when I need to use it. However, if I switch the TV input while the mini is on, it no longer recognizes the display and switches to the "internal display". Then when I change the TV display back to the (still plugged-in) HDMI cable that is connected to the mini, it says "No signal detected".

It seems to me that this is a problem with OS X (Yosemite) cdmi handshake protocol that requires two fixes. One, it should be able to maintain the tv profile even when the TV is using a different input and send a handshake request on mouse/keyboard activity. Two, It also is not responding to handshake requests from the TV, making it practically irrecoverable (at least from the sofa).

I was unable to sleep the computer from VNC, so I restarted the computer and the restart activated the cdmi port on the mac mini. Since the TV was utilizing the mini's hdmi input, the mini got a good handshake response. However, the sound output was still set to the internal speaker 😟

This issue makes the mini pretty lame as a HTPC, since you have to manually sleep it before changing inputs and ensure that the correct input is selected before waking it. This is very impractical for using the computer during commercial breaks, for instance.

Matt

TV no longer picking up hdmi signal to Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.