Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why a new user ID after logging in with Apple ID

Trying to get support: I login with my Apple ID. Next screen asks me to create a new user I'd. Since I have one I use that bit an error message says it is already taken - yes, its mine but I cannot find a way to login with a user I'd for the forums versus an App!e user ID.

Also when trouble shooting my Apple ID I want to make my primary email address the same as my Apple ID. There is even a button to do this but I get another error message that there is an Apple ID associated with it. That's a little circuitous since that's the purpose of the button. All in all, Apple have a totally confused and redundant process here. Any idea why I can't log in with a user I'd? Heck, I'd settle for logging in with my Apple ID which doesn't seem to work in these forums. To write this, I created a new user ID thus buying in to the multi-duplication of apple ids and user names.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 14, 2015 9:48 PM

3 replies

May 14, 2015 9:56 PM in response to mikadopilot

On the Forums, the User ID is the screen name that will show with your Avatar (mine is gail from maine, for example). I created this User ID for the forums using my Apple ID (which is how you have to do it). I sign in with my Apple ID, and my User ID shows up on the forum when I do stuff....

Is that what you are referring to?

As far as your actual Apple ID and Primary email address, need more info on what it is you are trying to do and where.

Cheers,

GB

Why a new user ID after logging in with Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.