Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CMYK Color swatches crashing FCPX

In 10.2 a new error occurred resulting in a crash of fcpx. Selecting CMYK Colors in swatches for elements like a generator color crashes fxpx. The bug is present in the update from 05/15/15 update too. It occurred first with the last update.

Recreate bug:

1. Add an generator to timeline (or any other element wich allows to select a color from swatches)

2. Open Color Swatch,

3. Switch to CMYK color selection or a CMYK Palette

4. change any value for one color component or select a CMYK color from the palette

5. Crash

Bug has been tried with different systems.

To get FCPX usable for selecting colors I had to remove all user generated CMYK color palettes from my system and user library.

Posted on May 15, 2015 12:45 AM

7 replies

May 15, 2015 2:51 AM in response to a_e_s

a_e_s wrote:

In 10.2 a new error occurred resulting in a crash of fcpx. Selecting CMYK Colors in swatches for elements like a generator color crashes fxpx. The bug is present in the update from 05/15/15 update too. It occurred first with the last update.

Recreate bug:

1. Add an generator to timeline (or any other element wich allows to select a color from swatches)

2. Open Color Swatch,

3. Switch to CMYK color selection or a CMYK Palette

4. change any value for one color component or select a CMYK color from the palette

5. Crash

Bug has been tried with different systems.

To get FCPX usable for selecting colors I had to remove all user generated CMYK color palettes from my system and user library.

I have seen this bug, but I could only make FCP X crash by explicitly using a CMYK color. Simply having it there did not cause a crash.

While it is clearly a bug, I can see no reason to ever use CMYK with video.

May 15, 2015 5:25 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

yeah, you must use the color exilicitly, but I have projects already using such a a color and for those only removing the palette helped in stopping fcpx to crash before an rub color could be selected.

Andreas Sexauer you said in video color is rub, but with a CYMK palette I could use one palette for video an print and didn't needed two palettes. now I have to build two palettes. That was not a totally proper usage but a convenient shortcut 😊.

But without this in proper usage the bug is annoying to, because you could crash just by a wrong click during color selection.

May 15, 2015 9:29 AM in response to a_e_s

the fact that FCPX crashes when attempting to use CMYK is a bug, yes. That you cannot use CMYK is not a bug; that's what we call a feature. Apple should have programmed FCPX to disable CMYK imports and color selection instead of allowing users to crash the application.

CMYK assets used to crash other video applications like After Effects and Premiere but Adobe solved that many years ago.

CMYK Color swatches crashing FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.