Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i hate photos, i want to go back to iphoto

Without realizing I will loose iphoto, I updated and now I cannot go back. I cannot find a site where to download the old iphoto program. Help...

Posted on May 15, 2015 6:33 AM

17 replies

May 15, 2015 6:34 AM in response to nicagee

iPhoto and Aperture are by default not available for Yosemite users. Instead of these two apps, Apple has released new Photos for OS X app, which is a replacement. One possible way to use iPhoto, is to downgrade your operating system.

If you previously purchased iPhoto, it should be in your App Store Purchases list. If you don’t see it. it may be under Hidden Purchases. You can try downloading it from there. That's another way out.

If you haven’t erased your hard drive when upgrading to OS X 10.10.3, iPhoto may be in your Applications folder.

May 15, 2015 6:41 AM in response to nicagee

Without realizing I will loose iphoto, I updated and now I cannot go back. I cannot find a site where to download the old iphoto program. Help...

Photos did not replace iPhoto. It should still be installed in your Applications folder, if you did not delete it yourself. And the migration of the iPhoto Library to Photos left the iPhoto library readable for iPhoto.

Find iPhoto in your Applications folder and drag it back to the Dock. Double click iPhoto to launch. You will see a warning, that the library has been migrated. Click the "Open iPhoto" button.

However, you will need iPhoto 9.6.1 with MacOS X 10.10.3. Otherwise iPhoto will be crossed out, because it is not compatible.

If you did not yet update to this iPhoto version, see this user tip:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

May 15, 2015 7:34 AM in response to D.Cohen

iPhoto and Aperture are by default not available for Yosemite users.

Yes they are. Both apps reunion Yosemite wit no issues. Up until the release of 10.10.3 both were still in sale at the App Store. Now updates can be downloaded for users who already had the app.

Instead of these two apps, Apple has released new Photos for OS X app, which is a replacement. One possible way to use iPhoto, is to downgrade your operating system.

Photos is not a replacement for Aperture, it does not replace iPhoto but does run alongside as an alternative. There is no need to downgrade the OS you can simply upgrade iPhoto.

May 15, 2015 7:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

By saying by default, I meant that you need to download these apps once again.

Well, if the word alternative sounds better than replacement for you, you can use it.

For me, if two apps are no longer available for purchase for new users and a new program with similar features is released, it's a replacement.

Apart from that, most of the reporters and analysts call iPhoto a replacement.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/10/aperture-iphoto-disappear-from-mac-app -store-following-photos-debut

http://recode.net/2015/04/14/review-photos-apples-replacement-for-iphoto/

May 15, 2015 8:01 AM in response to D.Cohen

By saying by default, I meant that you need to download these apps once again.

But what you are saying is factually inaccurate. The updates that allow these apps to run on 10.10.3 were released prior to 10.10.3, so anyone with an up-to-date version does not need to do that. Plus, you're also confusing Yosemite with just the latest version of it. So, yes for Yosemite both apps were available for it and even with the latest version both apps run on it, by default.

Well, if the word alternative sounds better than replacement for you, you can use it.

There is no sense in which Photos is a replacement for Aperture. Apple have never said that, though some commentators have, incorrectly, said so. I note the AppleInsider article is typical of the kind. You'll note the Mossberg article says no such thing. Photos is nowhere near as capable an app as Aperture. Apple have simply left the pro-shooter market. Suggesting Photos is a replacement for Aperture is leading people down a very dead end.

As for replacement: well there are a lot of folks on here who reckon that 10.10.3 removed iPhoto and put Photos in its place. It doesn't. So using 'replacement' can cause confusion.

May 15, 2015 8:03 AM in response to nicagee

iphoto is crossed out, so maybe i can try to copy the one from my other computer. could that work?

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

i hate photos, i want to go back to iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.