Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error when trying to connect to airport express

I have an older laptop, Power PC G4 running 10.4.11. I still like to use it for a few programs but when I upgraded my wifi network to a new router using WP2A it no longer connects. I already researched and found the software I am running will not work with that setting. I tried to use my old Airport Express base station and I am able to set it up using my iMac running 10.9.5 and I can connect with that computer. However, when I try to connect with the laptop, I can see the airport base station but when I try to connect I get the same error message. Any ideas?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 15, 2015 6:47 AM

10 replies

May 16, 2015 9:24 AM in response to nkplt

I Hope this will work out for you

• Pull down the Wi-Fi menu and turn Wi-FI OFF

User uploaded file

• From any Finder window, hit Command+Shift+G to bring up Go To Folder, and enter the following path:
  • /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

User uploaded file
  • Locate the following files, copy them to the desktop for a backup, then delete them from the /SystemConfiguration/ folder:
  • com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    com.apple.network.identification.plist
    NetworkInterfaces.plist
    preferences.plist

User uploaded file
    • Empty the Trash and reboot the Mac
    • Turn Wi-Fi back ON from the Wi-Fi menu, join your preferred network as usual

This process forces OS X to create all new preference files for wireless networking, which can be an effective troubleshooting strategy if the wi-fi problems began after upgrading versions of Mac OS X and even installing incremental system updates.

May 18, 2015 6:11 PM in response to nkplt

I tried tossing out everything you mentioned. Still no success. I tried to reset the airport and then set it up with the powerbook but still could not get it to work. I think it is some kind of conflict with my current wireless router from Verizon. I think I will just give it up and connect my powerbook via ethernet. That works better anyway. Thanks for the help.

May 23, 2015 5:39 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

The exact message is not very detailed. When trying to join, it fails and says "There was an error when joining Airport Network .......(name of my router)

I also have a Pismo G3 with airport card and so I fired it up and I get the same exact message. I guess it must be related to my router. I use Verizon Fios and their routers. I did check the router settings and it is set up as WPA2 and allows 802.11 b/g/n connection. Also, in my system profiler, all it says in both computers is Airport firmware version 9.5.2 which I believe is the latest firmware available. Thanks again for all the help but I unless someone can tell me how to access the error code in terminal so I can get more detail, I guess I will quit trying and just plug in with a ethernet cable.

May 23, 2015 6:31 PM in response to nkplt

I know this is not very heartening advice - but you have proved that you can indeed "see" the router " ......(name of my router) " - so contacting the router folks and Verizon (?) seems in order. They are certain to point their finger straight back at you and your gear, so maybe insisting on escalating to a senior tech is essential.

The bottom line is that the EVENT that preceded the misbehavior is the New Router. I had some issues with TimeWarner router(s) and required switching to different make/model - same make/model several times = no joy - this last one connected right up, proving my point all along that it was their gear's fault.

You have the data you need = " worked before your FiOS gear hit the scene " = it is the immediately preceding event that is always the culprit. luckily, this time it wasn't your fault (unless you count your decision to fix what wasn't broke )

May 23, 2015 6:55 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

actually, the new router wasn't my fault either. The old router failed and Verizon replaced it with the new router. Such is life. Talking to Verizon is worse than pulling teeth!! So since this laptop is not used that much anymore I will just connect ethernet and move on. My other computers still connect fine with the new router. Thanks again for the help tho.

error when trying to connect to airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.