Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the Best Way to Manage IOS APPS?

Hi all,

Way back when I first got the iPhone & iPad - I went nuts and got tons of apps - most free - some paid. I am wondering what is the best way to IOS manage apps? Right now:

- All IOS apps are in macbook 10.9.5 in iTunes

- most / all apps are in ios iPhone and iPad - taking up many ‘home screens’ - some are in folders like “business” "social” etc. All in all a big mess

- At this point it’s time to clean house - 90% I will never use and want to delete them. *BUT I WANT TO NOT LOSE MY PURCHASE RECORD HISTORY * so if I decide to re-download them at a later date - I will still get credit for the previous purchase.

So what is the best way to delete many apps at once?

IN ITUNES...

- seems like the best quick way is to go to itunes > iPhone > Apps (left row) and click remove on what I don’t want - then apply - correct? - is there a better way?

- but then they will still appear in the row and then say install - which is annoying to see after - so...

- then is it best to delete the apps from iTunes also? I guess that will remove them from the iPhone list?

Q: Curious what is the best way to go about this major cleanup and *STILL KEEP PURCHASE / RE-DOWNLOAD LATER* ability ?

Thanks in advance

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on May 15, 2015 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2015 9:29 AM

I would remove them from iTunes. You will not lose the ability to download them unless the developer/apple remove the app from the App Store for some reason. Why not back up all the apps to an external storage device prior to removing them from iTunes?

3 replies

May 15, 2015 9:42 AM in response to revDAVE

Your purchase history is stored by Apple on their servers, not on your devices. You cannot delete items from your purchase history (although you can hide them).

The only reason to keep a copy of the installer in iTunes on your computer is in case the developer pulls the app, or goes to a paid update and you want to keep the older version for re installation if necessary. So if there is some essential app that you use, i would keep the installer in iTunes. I've had the situation where an app went to a paid upgrade and pulled the older version, so the only way to restore or reinstall the older version was if I'd saved a copy myself.

What is the Best Way to Manage IOS APPS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.