You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access mail server with SSLV3 and TLS1.0 disabled

I run an ecommerce website that requires PCI compliance. My PCI scanner is telling me that I need to disable SSLv3 and TLS 1.0 to maintain compliance. However, when I do that, neither my Mac Mail client, nor my iPhone are able to connect to the mail server. I am assuming that means that they're using the out of date protocol that has been disabled. I'm scratching my head as to why the latest patched OS (Mavericks & IOS 8.3) are unable to upgrade the protocol beyond those outdated and insecure ones. I'm using IMAP port 993 in SSL and STMP on secure port 465. Is there anything I can do to get my devices synching with my mail server short of making the server non-compliant with PCI?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 15, 2015 9:44 AM

5 replies

May 29, 2015 9:36 AM in response to kenjakw

I discovered this on April 30th when I disabled TLSv1.0 for IMAP and SMTP connections on our mail server. It broke all mail connectivity from our iPhones (8.3 12F70). I confirmed via our mail server logs that iOS uses TLSv1.0 for connections to both IMAP and SMTP. I also confirmed that Safari on the iPhone uses TLSv1.2 by visiting https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html It also supports SSL 3 and TLS 1.0, both of which are considered insecure.

I disabled TLSv1.0 for all services except IMAP and SMTP. Since you only have to pass the PCI scan once every three months I have a little more time before I have to disable TLSv1.0 for IMAP and SMTP or become non-compliant.

Apple needs to fix this now or they are going to have a major issue on their hands.

Can't access mail server with SSLV3 and TLS1.0 disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.