Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

local network on Mac Pro is not connected to internet

Hi folks

My 2011 MacPro is connected to internet via ethernet.

I would like to turn it into a wireless hub for the office.

I have followed procedures to turn on internet sharing in System Settings using WiFi, have indicated a network name and WPA2 security password

I have turned on wifi, but no network under the specified name is detected on neighbouring machines (2015 Macbook pro, and an iPhone 4S).

I can create a network from the drop down menu of the wifi tab on the menu bar, but this simply creates a device available to the macbook pro, and I have no trouble accessing the Mac Pro from the macbook pro. But the internet remains unaccessible through this wireless connection.

When I go to the Mac Pro system settings, under network, and click on WiFi, it indicates it has a self-assigned IP address "and will not be able to connect to the internet".

Why is that, and why can users on other machines not access the ethernet internet through the wireless connection, especially when internet sharing is turned on?

any ideas much appreciated!

ps all machines on Yosemite, up to date.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 15, 2015 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2015 2:23 PM

ok, my bad.

Incoming ethernet connection was accidentally plugged into ethernet 2, when network was set up for sharing ethernet 1. Switched to ethernet 1, all fine.

: )

3 replies

May 15, 2015 8:13 PM in response to yukonriver

Mac Pro system settings, under network, and click on WiFi, it indicates it has a self-assigned IP address "and will not be able to connect to the internet".

That part is working as designed. It always shows a self-assigned IP Address when it is being used for Sharing. Ignore that.

It should be acting as a Router (usually based at 192.168.2.1 if my memory serves me correctly), and that is what your other Wi-Fi devices should see.

local network on Mac Pro is not connected to internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.