Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a DLink camera with Airport

Hi everyone,

I just got a DLink DCS935L wireless camera for the house. I'm using an older Apple Airport Extreme base station (802.11n, 3rd gen) as my router. Everything goes well during setup until actually connecting to Airport.

DLink suggested I contact Apple to find out if the router is a dual band (I believe it is) and second, how to re-name the two bands so that the camera can run on the 2.4GHz band only. They also suggested that I change the 2.4GHz band to channel 11 - not sure why or even what that means but

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rename the bands (is that even advisable), or how I can connect the camera in a different way?

Any help is welcome!

Thanks,

Don

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), MBP 13, iPad Air, iPhone 5s

Posted on May 15, 2015 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2015 4:09 PM

Before you try assigning a different name to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.....

It might be useful to know that there are a lot of wireless devices that are very particular about the name of the wireless network that they join. By that, we mean that devices want to see a wireless network name that is......

Simple......uses only letters and numbers......with no special characters like an apostrophe, asterisk, dollar sign, etc in the name

Short......no more than 20 characters total......less is better.....with no blank spaces in the name

So for example, a wireless network name like........dgirdwood's apple wireless network.......isn't going to present much opportunity for a number of wireless devices to be able to connect.

Change the name of that network to something like.......dgirdwoodwireless......17 characters (less would be better), no blank spaces, no special characters in the name. The name of my wireless network is TWNDB

Same guidelines for the wireless network password. Short, simple, nothing fancy.....8 characters at least, no more than 20.

If the camera still will not connect after you make the name of your network more compatible, then it would be time to try assigning a separate name to the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz bands.

Not sure what the guys were thinking on the Channel 11 advice. They must have a truly amazing crystal ball to be able to see all the other networks around you.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2015 4:09 PM in response to dgirdwood

Before you try assigning a different name to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.....

It might be useful to know that there are a lot of wireless devices that are very particular about the name of the wireless network that they join. By that, we mean that devices want to see a wireless network name that is......

Simple......uses only letters and numbers......with no special characters like an apostrophe, asterisk, dollar sign, etc in the name

Short......no more than 20 characters total......less is better.....with no blank spaces in the name

So for example, a wireless network name like........dgirdwood's apple wireless network.......isn't going to present much opportunity for a number of wireless devices to be able to connect.

Change the name of that network to something like.......dgirdwoodwireless......17 characters (less would be better), no blank spaces, no special characters in the name. The name of my wireless network is TWNDB

Same guidelines for the wireless network password. Short, simple, nothing fancy.....8 characters at least, no more than 20.

If the camera still will not connect after you make the name of your network more compatible, then it would be time to try assigning a separate name to the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz bands.

Not sure what the guys were thinking on the Channel 11 advice. They must have a truly amazing crystal ball to be able to see all the other networks around you.

May 15, 2015 6:39 PM in response to Bob Timmons

unless you have an amazing crystal ball.

We don't.. but let me explain why I suggest using fixed channels.

In our part of the world.. channels 12, 13 are allowed on 2.4ghz..

I had a situation where someone could not connect their laptop to my airport router.. with no obvious reason..

However it turned out to be extremely simple.. the drivers in the laptop only allowed for channels 1-11.. ie FCC rules..

The Apple router on that day had chosen to be on channel 12 or 13.. and guess what happens.. no link.

In fact US written drivers for wireless cards predominate.. and sometimes cause pain to us who do not live in the land of the free and home of the very brave.. and we may occasionally be heard to say a discouraging word about the fact they assume everyone else does follow FCC.. !!

So using fixed channels was the only way around the problem.. because you cannot move the Airport to USA in Australia.. Apple have no region ability outside the sale area.. so WE.. the people of the NOT USA.. in order to create a more perfect union with our wireless routers are forced down the path of fixed channels..

😁😉

So you can stop scratching your head.. Keep your hair intact..

And I will try to remember to put an exclusion when people need fixed channels.. that it refers to NON-US residents.

May 15, 2015 7:00 PM in response to LaPastenague

Nothing wrong with using a fixed channel......if the channel is not too crowded.

My question was how the D-Link support person knew that Channel 11 would be a good choice.....since he could not "see" the wireless environment at the OP's house.....unless he had magic powers. 😉

I agree that Channel 11 might be a good guess though, since most routers default to Channel 1, then go to Channel 6 and finally 11, at least in the U.S. Don't know how Ch 12 and 13 figure into things in other countries that use those channels.

Aug 30, 2015 1:00 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Interesting,

I have just bought a DCS-935l (great camera) and set it up on my local (airport extreme 5th gen model 117) network fine. It is using channel #149 at 5Ghz. and the Mydlink Lite app sees it happily as a local device, but won't allow remote connection to my mydlink account. Bonjour identifies it nicely. I have a static IP and am running OS X server inside that on a mac mini, so have changed the HTTP port to avoid conflict from the standard 80 to 801 and forwarded that port thorough the airport. (Incidentally I can't get apps like securityspy to display the camera video yet.)

I'm waiting for Dlink to tell me why I get a BINDERR021 error when trying to add the camera to my mydlink account but wondering if its something in my local network setup?

Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts would be welcome?

BTW the DCS-935l internal server wants Java to display the video on my mac and that is a significant resource hog! ..so this may be a Dlink issue and my posting is in the wrong place - if so my apologies!

Thanks

Setting up a DLink camera with Airport

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.