Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore sych between iTunes and my Touch 4th gen

I am really baffled. Just bought a 4th gen Touch ipod from someone. Downloaded most recent iTunes. Started inserting CD's and putting into iTunes library. If I went into Windows Explorer in MS Windows 7, I could see an icon that said ipod. And when I plugged in the ipod, Itunes and the ipod synched. Then when I attempted to sych some playlists--no more synching--even tho' I could still see the ipod icon on the computer. Device Sych is greyed out in the iTunes menu. So then I tried uninstalling and re-installing Itunes, but this thing is going from bad to worse--no more ipod icon showing on my computer. I've tried everything I saw to try online--just need some step by step directions cuz' I don't have a clue what to try. Even tried Copy Trans instead of iTunes--so far haven't gotten that to work either. I'm new to ipods & don't know much about them. What can I do? If I do system restore, it will erase everything currently in the ipod, right? Is there a way to save the files?

Posted on May 15, 2015 3:36 PM

3 replies

May 16, 2015 1:39 AM in response to dreamcatcherco

You can only sync with one computer. It appears that the computer was synced with another computer.

Any media that was on the purchased iPod did not transfer with the iPod.

Go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase all content and settings. The setup the iPod with your ID and media.

Then as necessary:

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Mac OS X

Or

See

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows

- I would start with

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

or

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

However, after your remove the Apple software components also remove the iCloud Control Panel via Windows Programs and Features app in the Window Control Panel. Then reinstall all the Apple software components

- Then do the other actions of:

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

paying special attention to item #5

- New cable and different USB port

- Run this and see if the results help with determine the cause

iTunes for Windows: Device Sync Tests

Also see:

iPod not recognised by windows iTunes

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

- Try on another computer to help determine if computer or iPod problem

May 16, 2015 7:00 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks so much for your speedy reply! Didn't think about the ipod maybe thinking it should sych with former owner's computer instead of mine. I guess since I was using CD's before that and was supplying it with the music it needed without having to access my computer, it wouldn't see any conflict with that--the former owner could have done that too. Let me reset & try to put in my id, etc. I hope it will lead me through putting my info. in--if I have trouble with that I'll re-post.

Restore sych between iTunes and my Touch 4th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.