Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've just started using logic again.but I'm behind on updates and I'm on 8.02,is it worth just starting again and buying the logic app for it..keep in mind I'm still using my iMac from 2007 ??

I've just started using logic again.but I'm behind on updates and I'm on 8.02,is it worth just starting again and buying the logic app for it..keep in mind I'm still using my iMac from 2007 ??

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 15, 2015 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2015 6:20 PM

You are likely to find that your 2007 Mac is not really up to the task of running the latest Logic Pro X versions... It will run but, the load placed on it by Mavericks and LPX itself, is likely to provide a very reduced performance level compared to LP8...

Personally, I'd stick with LP8 until you upgrade your Mac to a newer, more powerful model....

Note: Do not upgrade OS X any further.. as LP8 does not function correctly with Yosemite.

Additional:

if you really want to upgrade to a degree from LP8...You could find an old copy of the upgrade DVD version of Logic Studio 2.0 which includes Logic Pro 9..... on somewhere like eBay for example... Then update LP9 to v9.1.8 via this link...

Logic Pro 9.1.8

Now you will have some of the newer functionality also found in LPX... but without some of the extra CPU hit

Finally...

Several of us here still use Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 9.1.6 or 9.1.8 as our main working 'rigs' because we find that particular OS X and LP setup.. the most stable and optimal combination of Logic and OS X.... in regards to CPU/memory usage... which is an even more important factor with older Macs..

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2015 6:20 PM in response to G.mac.78

You are likely to find that your 2007 Mac is not really up to the task of running the latest Logic Pro X versions... It will run but, the load placed on it by Mavericks and LPX itself, is likely to provide a very reduced performance level compared to LP8...

Personally, I'd stick with LP8 until you upgrade your Mac to a newer, more powerful model....

Note: Do not upgrade OS X any further.. as LP8 does not function correctly with Yosemite.

Additional:

if you really want to upgrade to a degree from LP8...You could find an old copy of the upgrade DVD version of Logic Studio 2.0 which includes Logic Pro 9..... on somewhere like eBay for example... Then update LP9 to v9.1.8 via this link...

Logic Pro 9.1.8

Now you will have some of the newer functionality also found in LPX... but without some of the extra CPU hit

Finally...

Several of us here still use Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Logic Pro 9.1.6 or 9.1.8 as our main working 'rigs' because we find that particular OS X and LP setup.. the most stable and optimal combination of Logic and OS X.... in regards to CPU/memory usage... which is an even more important factor with older Macs..

May 20, 2015 2:00 PM in response to G.mac.78

FWIW, I was using LPX on a late 2008 MacPro until a few weeks ago. It worked pretty well. That machine got me from Logic 7 all the way to LPX. I just upgraded to a new MacPro "Trash Can" model and that computer running LPX is fantastic. If you can find a way to afford a computer upgrade to a new MacPro or a used Yosemite-compatible machine, that'd be the way to go, IMO. LPX is great - a huge improvement over LP9 and LP8. For $199 it is the best DAW value out there by far. The instruments and plug-ins blow the competition away. Short of that, an upgrade to LP9 on your machine would be preferable to sticking with LP8. LP9 is the version where Apple's version of Logic became a true Apple-quality app.

May 20, 2015 2:23 PM in response to G.mac.78

G.mac.78 wrote:

tthanks for reply Nige.

i Think I'm going to have to update to logic 9 as all my sound bank and apple loops are missing and I havnt got the CDs anymore to load them up!is there a way around this mate or should I just pay fir upgrade ??

Yes...

You will need to get the DVD Upgrade version of Logic Studio 2 ... which includes all the additional content... as you cannot purchase the download version of LP9 from the App Store any longer....

So, that's what i would do....... in your situation.. Buy the upgrade, used... from say, eBay.....and use that with your current Mac... staying with OS X 10.6.8 if possible... again for the reasons i gave in an earlier post

Cheers..

Nigel

May 21, 2015 1:23 PM in response to G.mac.78

You should be able to find the Upgrade version for less than that..... I have seen them going for about $125 on occasion...

Bear in mind that Logic Studio 2 sold for over $500.... (even more earlier in it's lifecycle) because it contains not just Logic Pro but many other apps too.... (Waveburner, Soundtrack Pro and so on...)

Torrents are illegal in terms of the manner you are asking about and so I will not respond to that... other than to say, it would be a 'bad move' for many reasons.. in my opinion... to try and obtain LS via such a means..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.