Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps taking up too much space ???

Hi - The Storage section of the "About This Mac" on my 2014 Mac Mini has been indicating a massive amount of space being taken up by Apps. This has been increasing dramatically over the past week. It's now up to a whopping 153GB.

When I press the "Get Info" button on the Applications folder on Finder it only reads 14.71 GB.

The Apps Store recently seemed to have made a major **** -up on something called "ProVideo Formats" which appeared 12 times over the past month and failed on all 12 attempts to install the thing. Could this have something to do the massive apparent use of space?

Or could it be something else that's causing a mis-reading? I've recently been using a Sigma camera that uses rather large file sizes but I've been running Sigma Photo Pro for ages without any problem.

I've also got Final Cut Pro X but haven't used it yet - waiting for an external 5TB drive to be delivered before loading video. Could the "Pro Video Formats" weirdness be messing about with the storage space?

The following are Grabs taken on 8th, 11th and 15th May.

Thanks......

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 15, 2015 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2015 6:19 PM

If the display seems to be inaccurate, try rebuilding the Spotlight index.

You can use a tool such as OmniDiskSweeper (ODS) or GrandPerspective (GP) to explore the volume and find out what's taking up the space. You can also delete files with it, but don't do that unless you're sure that you know what you're deleting and that all data is safely backed up. That means you have multiple backups, not just one. Note that ODS only works with OS X 10.8 or later. If you're running an older OS version, use GP.

Deleting files inside a photo or iTunes library will corrupt the library. Changes to such a library must be made from within the application that created it. The same goes for Mail files.

Proceed further only if the problem isn't solved by the above steps.

ODS or GP can't see the whole filesystem when you run it just by double-clicking; it only sees files that you have permission to read. To see everything, you have to run it as root.

Back up all data now.

Install the app in the Applications folder as usual. Quit it if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the corresponding line of text below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

For ODS:

security execute-with-privileges /A*/OmniDiskSweeper.app/*/M*/* 2>&-

For GP:

security execute-with-privileges /A*/GrandPerspective.app/*/M*/* 2>&-

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. You'll be prompted for your login password.

The application window will open behind other open windows. When you scan a volume, the window will eventually show all files in all folders, sorted by size. It may take a few minutes for the app to finish scanning.

I don't recommend that you make a habit of doing this. Don't delete anything as root. If something needs to be deleted, make sure you know what it is and how it got there, and then delete it by other, safer, means. When in doubt, leave it alone or ask for guidance.

When you're done with the app, quit it and also quit Terminal.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2015 6:19 PM in response to Van der Weden

If the display seems to be inaccurate, try rebuilding the Spotlight index.

You can use a tool such as OmniDiskSweeper (ODS) or GrandPerspective (GP) to explore the volume and find out what's taking up the space. You can also delete files with it, but don't do that unless you're sure that you know what you're deleting and that all data is safely backed up. That means you have multiple backups, not just one. Note that ODS only works with OS X 10.8 or later. If you're running an older OS version, use GP.

Deleting files inside a photo or iTunes library will corrupt the library. Changes to such a library must be made from within the application that created it. The same goes for Mail files.

Proceed further only if the problem isn't solved by the above steps.

ODS or GP can't see the whole filesystem when you run it just by double-clicking; it only sees files that you have permission to read. To see everything, you have to run it as root.

Back up all data now.

Install the app in the Applications folder as usual. Quit it if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the corresponding line of text below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

For ODS:

security execute-with-privileges /A*/OmniDiskSweeper.app/*/M*/* 2>&-

For GP:

security execute-with-privileges /A*/GrandPerspective.app/*/M*/* 2>&-

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. You'll be prompted for your login password.

The application window will open behind other open windows. When you scan a volume, the window will eventually show all files in all folders, sorted by size. It may take a few minutes for the app to finish scanning.

I don't recommend that you make a habit of doing this. Don't delete anything as root. If something needs to be deleted, make sure you know what it is and how it got there, and then delete it by other, safer, means. When in doubt, leave it alone or ask for guidance.

When you're done with the app, quit it and also quit Terminal.

May 16, 2015 5:24 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc - thanks for that. Your suggestions are appreciated. However what you're saying is way beyond my level of technical expertise. I think I'll have to call in an expert. Unfortunately I can't determine when the problem started. I only noticed it when the App Store kept sending a "Pro Video Formats" update that wouldn't take - literally 12 times. If the official Mac App Store can't be trusted to do things properly I'd be unwilling to rely on some 3rd party program to sort things out.

Could the problem be due to a faulty "metering system"? - like having a car with a fuel gauge that reads "empty" when it's 3/4 full ..... or is there something seriously wrong here? I had another look this morning - and it's reading 149.34GB down from153.37GB a couple of days ago.... so it seems to be fluctuating.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again.

May 16, 2015 5:50 AM in response to Van der Weden

Van der Weden wrote:

Could the problem be due to a faulty "metering system"? - like having a car with a fuel gauge that reads "empty" when it's 3/4 full ..... or is there something seriously wrong here? I had another look this morning - and it's reading 149.34GB down from153.37GB a couple of days ago.... so it seems to be fluctuating.

Use Linc's first Link to recreate the index. It is Apples own advice & is very simple to do.

The Spotlight index is what it sounds like - an index of all the files on disk along with data about the file content to allow searching via Spotlight. If that is corrupt it can show the wrong figures.

Please also consider that the 'Applications' in that view is somewhat generic, it also includes supporting files that are not stored in the main /Applications folder, so it can be normal for the /Applications folder to look smaller in Finder compared to the the storage view.

The supporting files for certain apps can be quite large - such as Motion's shared content, Garageband loops, Logic or Soundtrack Pro loops, DVD templates for certain apps etc. It really depends on what you have installed as to how much other data may be allocated into the Applications category of that view.

May 16, 2015 6:57 AM in response to Drew Reece

Hello Drew (and Linc if you're there)

I tried Linc's 1st link - no pun intended - "re-building the Spotlight index". When I added Final Cut Pro X to it and sort of muddled around and somehow ended up launching it ... then closed it again .... something did happen. It's now down to 143.43 from 149.34..... still far too high .... but that seems to have freed 6GB from the metering. Currently I have to go out. I'll have another try later on. The instructions on "Spotlight - Privacy" don't seem to exactly synch with what it says on Linc's link (sorry)- but I think I'm getting closer. I'm using Yosemite. I'm inclined to think it was all that "Pro Video Formats" hassle that caused this in the 1st place.

Thanks again for your assistance.

User uploaded file

May 16, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Van der Weden

I don't fully understand what you did - there is no need to add Final Cut Pro X to anything in those instructions. Go back & re-read them.

All you have to do is add the boot disk to the privacy section & then remove it. It will give you a warning about being unable to search the disk, but you are forcing it to re-index, so that is fine to agree to it.

May 16, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hi Drew - I don't understand what I did either. I remember dragging various Apps into the "Privacy" box and nothing much happening - then pressing the minus button. When I pressed the plus button various greyed-out App icons appeared. I dragged the Apps into the box from Finder.

Also I don't know what a "boot disc" is.

Just then I downloaded "Omni Disc Sweeper" and followed some instructions and did a sweep of "Macintosh HD". Here's a Grab ...........

User uploaded file

Applications are only 10.8 GB - nowhere near 143.3GB. However I do have 22.2GB of AUDIO on a folder on the desktop.

Looking at the Omni Disk Sweeper layout there doesn't seem to be anything worth deleting - nor anything that is taking up vast amounts of space.

Can you see anything on this list that looks odd or out of place?

Once again - thanks for your (and Linc's) assistance. Deeply appreciated.

May 16, 2015 5:49 PM in response to Van der Weden

Sorry, I assumed we were on the same wavelength 🙂

Leave OmniDisk Sweeper for the time being - see if we can get the Spotlight index rebuilt to see if that starts reporting accurate info.

1. In Finder, 'Go menu > Computer'.
  2. A window with all your attached disks will open. Inside that window should be a disk you use for your operating system - often called 'Macintosh HD' unless you renamed it (it has the Applications & your Users folder on that disk).
  3. Open 'System Preferences > Spotlight', select the Privacy tab.
  4. Drag the Macintosh HD (or whatever it is called) from the 'Computer' window into the Privacy list.
  5. Agree to the warning.
  6. Remove the disk from the list.
  7. Quit System Preferences.

After step 6 the disks index is rebuilt - it takes a while but when it is complete check the storage report again. Reboot if it is still too large. Let us know if it is any different.

May 16, 2015 6:38 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hey Drew ...... It's totally sorted.... I did what you said and here's the result ...........

User uploaded file

It's so different from the way it was .....

User uploaded file

I took some readings over the past 10 minutes and it seems to have settled down. Not entirely sure why Apps is reading only 931.5 MB - but I can live with that. Perhaps it might change gradually..

Thanks for the concise instructions.

I'm waiting for a 5TB storage disc to arrive so I can start with FCPX ..... and it's a great relief to have this sorted. I'd assumed there was something seriously wrong with my Mac and there was something causing Apps to start eating storage space at an alarming rate.

Once again deeply appreciated. Thank you.

May 16, 2015 7:24 PM in response to Van der Weden

It doesn't seem like it was a serious issue to me. Spotlight is a database of the file content & other metadata. Sometimes it gets corrupted & simply reports the incorrect values. When that happens different parts of the OS report figures that conflict and confusion ensues. Clearing it out allows the OS to update it. If it goes wrong again check the state of the disk in Disk Utility.

Good luck with the video work, I hope you a plan for backing it all up, caution is a virtue 🙂

All the best,

Drew

Apps taking up too much space ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.