Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get out of OS X Utilities Screen

I have a MacBook Pro, non-Retina 15inch that I purchased about 2 years brand new from the US Navy base. As from what I remember it didn't come with any backup CDs or what have you. All was fine until I updated to Maverick (Mountain Lion was what originally supplied), and things went down hill from there. First all my apple products and printer wouldn't sync correctl, then there was some sort of big issue with my apple ID that I was forced to change my ID since and as result things been a bit confusing since. But that's not why I'm writing here today.

Earlier today I used my MBP for the first time in a couple months. After start up my Safari was opened and so I closed it, then I was informed that iTunes needed to be updated, at first it said it couldn't be updated but it did. Then I deleted my trash bin - have a feeling this where I did wrong, for I didn't really look over what I was deleting. After that my entire MBP froze. Nothing was responsive. So I did an forced reboot (holding the power button down, etc). Upon start up, first there's a white screen with a forbidden sign, then the gray screen with the apple logo, and finally the Disc Utility screen. Unfortunately, I never did the Time Machine thing - so that's a no go. I can't do a Reinstall OS X - shows 2 disks, EFI (not formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled) and Recovery HD (shows as "this disk is locked"). I did try Disk Utility to repair, for what's listed as "Apple HDD HTS541075A9E662 Media" everything appears to be fine by means of verify disk and repair disk. Another disk labeled, "Macintosh HD" first I have to verify and then during repair disk it stats it can't be repaired. In the details window it looks to be missing directories.

So as you can see I'm stuck and screwed. Have no clue what else I can do.....

Oh, and yeah - I tried to start in Safe Mode by means of holding the Shift down during boot up, that didn't work either.

If anyone understands what's happening here, much obliged. Otherwise being I cannot remember if my MPB is under warranty or not, anyone have about round about figure what it'd cost if I need to bring it in the Genius Bar?

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on May 15, 2015 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2015 6:07 PM

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2015 6:07 PM in response to ShelyH73

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

May 24, 2015 11:41 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy, thanks! I've done what you said but now having a problem reinstalling OS X Maverick and was easy enough.But it seems to be some thing going wrong during the downloading part. I tried to start the download several times and I keep getting a window popup saying, "This item is temporary unavailable. Try again later."

I'll keep trying, though. Hopefully it'll start downloading. 😁

May 25, 2015 12:26 AM in response to Kappy

Hello once again, Kappy! This is Wyked Angel, I'm signed in under my other old Apple ID because I had to reset my password. But I just wanted to let you know that I finally got through and OS X Mavericks is currentry downloading. What I had to do was use my old Apple ID that I used when I first got my MBP for some reason it won't take using my new one. Unfortunately this means once it boots up I'm going to have to go through the painstakingly process of changing Apple IDs and resyncing everything - **** YOU APPLE! 😁 But anyhow, you were a big help through this matter - thank you!! 😎

Can't get out of OS X Utilities Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.