Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 Mac Mini won't accept mouse button input for 8 minutes

I remember seeing somebody have this problem before, but I can't seem to find the original discussion or any solution to the problem.

After my 2010 Mac Mini running Mac OS X v10.6.8 starts up, it refuses input from the USB mouse button or my Apple trackpad. The cursor MOVES just fin, but I can't click on anything. About 8 minutes later, the button starts working normally. Any clicks I made during the first 8 minutes after startup are then executed all at once.

WHAT could possibly cause a delay in accepting mouse button input? I know it is NOT the mouse, which works fine on another Mac Mini. Plus, this happens with BOTH a USB mouse AND the Apple Track Pad using bluetooth.

I hop that this problem has a simple solution. Does anybody have any ideas?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 15, 2015 10:07 PM

9 replies

May 18, 2015 8:05 AM in response to lllaass

Here's everything that logs between my hitting the restart button and the time that the mouse button becomes functional (8 minutes after I get the desktop). Desktop appears at 10:47. Nothing comes after that.

5/18/15 10:44:56 AMcom.apple.launchd.peruser.501[80]([0x0-0xd00d].com.apple.Console[130]) Exited: Killed
5/18/15 10:45:38 AMcom.apple.launchd[1]*** launchd[1] has started up. ***
5/18/15 10:46:56 AMcom.apple.WindowServer[63]Mon May 18 10:46:56 Eleanor-Stockwells-Mac-mini.local WindowServer[63] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
5/18/15 10:47:00 AMcom.apple.launchd.peruser.501[80](com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
5/18/15 10:47:07 AMcom.apple.launchd.peruser.501[80](com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[118]) Exited with exit code: 1
5/18/15 10:47:09 AMcom.apple.launchd.peruser.501[80](com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-elliestockwell@me.com-SharedServices[121]) Exited with exit code: 1

May 20, 2015 3:00 PM in response to lllaass

None of those things made any difference. Still experiencing an 8-minute delay from the time that the desktop appears to the time that button clicks are executed. It doesn't matter if I am using a USB mouse of my Apple Trackpad.

After 8 minutes, the button works fine and any clicks that I made prior to the 8-minute mark execute all at once.

Incidentally, The CURSOR works fine as soon as the desktop comes up, I just can't click on anything.

If I start-up with the option key down, I CAN use the mouse button to select the start-up disk.

I also CANNOT wake up the computer if it goes to sleep. I have to shut it down using the power button and then start it up again.

And if I install upgrades through Software Update, the machine freezes on restart after the desktop wallpaper appears but BEFORE the menu bar and dock appear. I have to shut it down using the power button.

I am running OS X 10.6.8 installed. I ordered a Mountain Lion CD to upgrade. I tried upgrading directly to Yosemite, but the system freezes at about 50% on the installation restart. I couldn't fix that problem and ended up erasing the hard drive and doing a clean install of Snow Leopard.

May 22, 2015 8:01 AM in response to lllaass

Couldn't launch AHT. Holding down the D-key during start-up didn't do anything.

Here's couple of other things I learned:

If I log out, I loose my mouse clicks. Cursor works fine, but I can't click on anything. This lasts just under 4 minutes - 1/2 the time experienced after a start-up.

The 8-minute delay applies if I don't use automatic login when starting-up. Once the login screen appears, it's 8 minutes before I can click on anything.

2010 Mac Mini won't accept mouse button input for 8 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.