Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocked iphone 6 plus not working in Norway

Hi everyone, I have an iphone 6 plus unlocked bought in the US, which is useless in Norway... the funny thing is that I have 2 Norwegian sim cards (my call and telenor), I have already used them everywhere(US,Germany,Sweden,Finland ect.) once I came back to Norway, I have tried with both of them but it shows no service..

I have basically tried everything, choosing the network manually, resetting the network, choosing Norway in (settings - general - language & region) even with help of both providers representative through the phone, with no success..

Can please anyone help me?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on May 16, 2015 1:21 AM

15 replies

May 16, 2015 1:52 AM in response to Rojmer

Hi Rojmer, yes I bought it privately in MA, is 100% unlocked, I have been traveling a bit everywhere for the past 7 weeks and also used different foreign sim cards with no issue at all, the carriers should be approved by apple I suppose, Telenor is the major carrier here in Norway and I am pretty sure they must have sold thousands of iphone 6 plus as well..the other (My call) is well known here in Norway as well.. I even used the My call sim card in Sweden to call my friend in Norway before I crossed the border by car.. I have no idea why it shows no service here in Norway...

May 16, 2015 2:04 AM in response to stefanob08

It is quite strange then. Have you checked that any of the other carriers you have used in other countries have not installed a special profile on your phone? I am asking because I was using an unlocked 4S in the US with T-Mobile and then I wanted to change to AT&T and it would not work. I knew it was unlocked because I bought it from Apple at full price in the US and I had used it in other countries with other carriers as well.

AT&T had a look at my iPhone and discovered a T-Mobile profile on my iPhone that had to be deleted. Once deleted, my iPhone was able to connect to the AT&T network and had full service. This was a year or so before T-mobile became an iPhone supported carrier.

I can't remember exactly where that profile was located in my iPhone, but do check in Settings, General, VPN or Profiles.

Aug 31, 2015 11:07 AM in response to renrado

To confirm you have the same problem, did you buy an iPhone NEW in the US from an Apple store, and pay full price, and have a receipt that says unlocked? Or did you buy a used phone that was unlocked by the carrier it was locked to? These are the ONLY ways to get an unlocked phone in the US.

If you got it used you can test whether it is truly unlocked: Connect it to your computer, click on its icon in iTunes, and click Restore iPhone. If it is truly, legitimately unlocked, when the restore finishes iTunes will display the message "Congratulations. Your phone is unlocked." If you do not see this message the phone is NOT unlocked.

Aug 31, 2015 11:20 AM in response to renrado

You have 4G in Norway, but not GSM? It's usually the other way around. That model should work on LTE in Norway, and all iPhones should work on GSM around the world if they are unlocked. Are you sure there is GSM coverage? Do you get any error messages? Have you run a speed test?

I'm also not quite sure what you mean by no gsm. Do you mean voice, or data? Or both?

One possibility is that the phone needs a carrier update to reset APN settings. To check go to Settings/General/About; if there is an update available it should install automatically.

Nov 7, 2016 2:28 AM in response to stefanob08

I have the exact same issue in Norway. I usually live in Romania, and I have an iPhone 6S Plus, factory unlocked. Bought right here in Romania. Used it in Bulgaria, also used it in Thailand when in vacation. Phone works just fine.

Started working in Norway about a year and a half ago, bought a Telia SIM, with Roam like Home option so I can call directly in Norway from most european contries at no cost.

SIM card works perfect from anywhere, aside Norway. Used it in Thailand, also using it in Romania. Works just fine.

Now when I am in Norway, phone gets No Service with any type of SIM. Tried using my Romanian Orange SIM, still same thing.

Now, I tried these two SIM cards on an Galaxy S7 Edge, as well as a Lenovo Vibe C, just to be sure they work, and surprisingly, they work flawlessly.

Called Telia support, asking if my IMEI is somehow blocked or anything, guy said he can't see anything.

I have a A1687 model, bought as unlocked, did not unlock it afterwards or anything.

So the phone works with the norwegian SIM card everywhere else but not in Norway.

I guess there is something with the carriers in norway, regarding foreign apple devices. Because, at the same time, the same iPhone, same model, bought from Norway, works just fine with the same SIM.

Tried everything, resetting, full reset, network reset, got the SIM in and out.. nothing.

Also tried the same SIM on a iPhone 5S, also from Romania, exactly the same thing. Once, I managed to get 4G, but the internet didn't actually work... only shown as connected.

Note that both phones work fine with the norwegian SIM in Romania, Bulgaria and Thailand / Malaysia.

If you have any followups, let me know please.

Unlocked iphone 6 plus not working in Norway

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.