Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've heard a rumour that the latest iTunes update kills iPod classics. Is this true?

I have an 80gb classic. Will the latest iTunes update screw it up?

iPod classic

Posted on May 16, 2015 7:09 AM

13 replies

May 18, 2015 9:09 AM in response to turingtest2

Seems to have killed mine! I can no longer sync my IPod 80gb Classic. ITunes freezes or sometimes comes up with a message saying that it can't sync because it doesn't have the required file.

As I've had my Classic a while I am no longer able to get a call from Apple without stumping up £25, and online support from Apple seems to be the ultimate fob-off, where customers have to figure out how to solve their problems together without any input from Apple. I'm considering taking to singing to myself on my bus journey to work instead of using an IPod because at least when I break down, I can just have a Strepsil instead of going through this incredibly frustrating and ultimately futile exercise in asking 'Apple' for help.

Any moderators want to step in to prove me wrong.....please do.....please!

May 18, 2015 11:40 AM in response to StepUpApple

Did you look at the drive stats from the Corrupt iPod classic link? Put the iPod in disk mode and check it for errors. Check the source drive too.

You can also try this: http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipod/five_rs/classic/#

In some cases a full tear down and rebuild of the iTunes installation might be helpful. See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for advice.

tt2

May 22, 2015 9:25 AM in response to turingtest2

Turingtest2 you are quite literally my hero! The steps from the corrupt IPOD classic worked a treat. My morning bus ride to work will be filled with Northern Soul classics again rather than the coughs and splutters of shivering passengers. I have had such bad experiences accessing customer support through Apple that I had no faith in posting on here, but rather treated it as a last-ditch attempt to fix my problem, and yet it has actually worked. Thank you so much!

I've heard a rumour that the latest iTunes update kills iPod classics. Is this true?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.