Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 Plus Replacement

I am thinking of getting my phone replaced but I was wondering if they are exchanged for a new one still wrapped or do they just hand you a refurbished phone as is? Nearly $500 is a lot of money to pay to exchange for something when you don't know EXACTLY what you are getting... can anyone enlighten me? I am not calling Apple again, but I forgot to ask... oops

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8, I smashed the screen by accident :(

Posted on May 16, 2015 6:12 AM

5 replies

May 16, 2015 6:56 AM in response to ChellieJLZR

$500?? The iPhone 6+ screen replacement fee is $129.00, and the out of warranty replacement fee is under $400 (well, $399 in Canada, but only $329 in the USA)? If the only thing wrong is the screen, you can ask at your nearest Apple store or authorized repair center for a simple display replacement (and they'll check it out at no charge to make sure there is also no internal damage)?

Also, if you read the warranty, there is nothing at all that guarantees you a new unit for your used unit. Once you were past the unconditional return period, your device became a used device and was never eligible for a new (as in never sold or used) replacement. The only time Apple normally uses a non-factory refurbished unit is when those are not available and thus waiting would delay service. Otherwise, service units are ones that have been refurbished by the original manufacturer back at their plants in China. As Meg says, they appear indistinguishable from new, and do have new displays and new battery as part of the factory refurbishment. Getting one also re-instates the remainder of your original warranty, or 90 days (whichever is greater).

May 16, 2015 7:09 AM in response to ChellieJLZR

That explains it, thanks. I assume if they decided it needs replacement, they suspect more than just the screen is damaged. But regardless, all you are promised by the guarantee is a clean, unblemished and working replacement. Apple will make the decision of refurbished or new based on service unit availability, and from the refurbished devices I have seen, you won't be able to distinguish the difference from a wholly new one anyway.

May 16, 2015 7:21 AM in response to ChellieJLZR

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center Australia

1. iPhone Screen RepairRepair and replacement costs depend on your iPhone model and your AppleCare product coverage. Apple will run a diagnostic test to determine whether your iPhone has experienced additional damage. If it has, or if it needs other repairs, you may need to pay an out-of-warranty service fee. Accidental damage isn't covered under the Apple One Year Limited Warranty.
    Model Screen repair service fee
    iPhone 6 A$ 168.95
    iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s,
    iPhone 5c, iPhone 5
    A$ 198.95
    The screen repair service fee includes a A$ 19.95 shipping fee. All fees are in Australian dollars and include GST. Pricing may vary for screen repair service through an Apple Authorized Service Provider or your wireless carrier.
  2. Out-of-Warranty ServiceIf you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for out-of-warranty (OOW) service, Apple will service your iPhone for the out-of-warranty service fee listed below.
    Model Out-of-warranty service
    iPhone 6 Plus A$ 468.95
    iPhone 6 A$ 428.95
    iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c,
    iPhone 5
    A$ 388.95
    iPhone 4s A$ 298.95
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
    iPhone 3G
    A$ 228.95

With that said, Apple's refurbished units are indistinguishable from new ones. Its not like you'll be getting a iPhone with somebody elses data on it. or with a scratch on the back or anything.

New screen, new back, new battery, and warranty coverage for the remainder of your original warranty, or 90 days whichever is longer.

Iphone 6 Plus Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.