Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black horizontal lines in Safari

On occasion I see a thin horizontal black line appear in Safari. It's only there on rare occasions and disappears when the page is scrolled.

It tried to make a screenshot whilst the line is on screen but the line is not captured in the screenshot. So it's definitely on my screen but not in the captured screen-data apparently. That's weird imo.

I have Retina MBP mid 2014.

Any thoughts? Solutions?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Latest Safari

Posted on May 16, 2015 6:09 AM

3 replies

May 29, 2015 3:20 AM in response to dominic23

The issue still persists. It's a OS issue and not browser caching or something. There seems to be a problem with Safari rendering. I mainly use Safari and have not seen it in Chrome or something. It's also only on the webpage, not on the window. (Cookies are obviously not the issue)

I've taken a picture with my phone since the screenshot does not actually register the issue. (So the line is not in the screen info but something that is shown that should not be there)

The line goes away as soon as I continue scrolling. And scrolling back does not create the issue again. It's only there on rare occasions where the rendering of the data seems to be out of line with the plane of the window. To me it seems the data is parsed on top of the rest for 1px or something. Maybe the retina rendering is at fault. (set to default for retina screen)

As you can see the line does not go into the OS windows and is only there on the rendered webpage.

User uploaded file

May 16, 2015 1:46 PM in response to AdrianHunter

Go step by step and test.

1. Empty Caches

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

2. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

3. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn off Extensions if any and launch Safari again to test.

Turn on those one by one and test.

May 29, 2015 7:24 AM in response to AdrianHunter

All websites or just one to two?

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Black horizontal lines in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.