Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AEBS and AE Problem

I want to replace my Linksys router with an AEBS however I am running into some problems. This is not going as well I hoped. I connected the AEBS to the modem. On the AEBS, I created a NEW network and called it "HOME". On the AEBS, I have a green light. The two problems I have is this,

1. Wireless clients can connect to the AEBS but can't access the internet.

2. The AE joins the AEBS but I want to use the LAN port on the AE to connect to a computer.

Obviously, my configuration on the AEBS is wrong somewhere because no device is accessing the internet. Again, WiFi devices can connect to the AEBS but not internet. My configuration on the AE is wrong.

Airport Extreme-OTHER

Posted on May 16, 2015 8:33 AM

26 replies

May 16, 2015 9:22 AM in response to pfisher112

Thanks.

Unfortunately, Motorola / Apple has been a troublesome combination with newer Apple routers. The modem is a good product, as is the Apple router....but they have trouble working together at times. We have had this issue ourselves as well with two different other Motorola modems.

It will take me an hour or so to download the manual and study it, since this is a slightly different version of the modem that I have not used in the past.

May 16, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Bob Timmons

First and foremost, I trust you Bob and I trust your experience and knowledge. Second, I appreciate your help and time to help me figure this out. Forgive me if I come across harsh at times because I was hoping to have a good experience with this. I love Apple products and I know that some products can be hard to configure.

The other thing I would like to throw into this pool. I would like to have the AEBS be the main router. In the future, I would like to connect a TC to the AEBS and the TC only function as TM backup for my wireless and Mac computers. For now, lets work on getting the AEBS up and running.

Again, take your time but don't forget about me.

May 16, 2015 9:42 AM in response to pfisher112

The following will give you the best chance of getting things up and running with the products that you have. Please follow the instructions very closely.

Power off the modem by pulling the power cord from the back of the modem or from the wall AC jack

Disconnect the co-ax cable from the wall, as well as any Ethernet or phone cables

Pull the battery from the modem. You may need to refer to the setup guide for this. http://www.arrisi.com/modems/datasheet/Voice%20Modem%20Replacement/Voice_Modem_R eplacement_Battery_SBV5222_User%20Guide_…

Leave the modem powered off at least 30 minutes. Longer would be better.

With the AEBS powered on, hold in the reset button on the back of the AEBS for 8-10 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the AEBS to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Then, power off the AEBS. Power off the AirPort Express as well for now.

After the 30+ minute modem power down period.....

Install the battery back in the modem

Connect up the cables, insuring that the Ethernet cable from the modem connects to the WAN "O" port on the AEBS

Power up the modem and let it run by itself for at least 10 minutes, longer will not hurt.

Power up the AEBS and let it run 4-5 minutes.

Go ahead and set up the AEBS again, but leave the AirPort Express powered off for now.

Report on your results.

May 16, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Update 1: I did everything you suggested. I am up and running with the AEBS. One thing I noticed with the AEBS, I can see wireless clients but I can't block any sites to those clients. With my Linksys router, I was able to not only view the wireless devices but I was able to block Facebook and other social media sites to any specific device such as an iPod. I am happy with moving to an Apple router, I need to be able to block sites so teenagers can't access social media sites. This is a concern of mine. I can't leave the internet wide open for my teenagers to access anything they want when they want.

What do you suggest in terms of blocking sites?

May 16, 2015 1:53 PM in response to pfisher112

How many AEs can I add to AEBS without creating conflicts? May be a silly question. I live in an old house so I can't "wire" my house like I would like to. As a result, I need to rely on wireless. I want to make sure I have good coverage plus I want to start using ATVs. So, I want to make sure that I am able to stream movies. Again in the near future, I want to add a TC and place it next to the AEBS. I hope this doesn't cause conflicts.

May 16, 2015 2:46 PM in response to pfisher112

One thing I noticed with the AEBS, I can see wireless clients but I can't block any sites to those clients.

Correct, the Apple routers are bare bones, mom and pop devices.

I am happy with moving to an Apple router, I need to be able to block sites so teenagers can't access social media sites.

Then, unfortunately, an Apple router is not for you.

What do you suggest in terms of blocking sites?

A router that will allow you to do this.

Not sure if you need answers to your other questions or not, if the Apple router will not perform the basic tasks that you need. Please advise.

May 16, 2015 3:07 PM in response to pfisher112

One option......use the Linksys router to run and control the network, but turn off the wireless on the Linksys.

Then, connect the AirPort Extreme to the Linksys. You will have to change the setting on the AirPort to Bridge Mode if you decide to try this. The AirPorts will perform as wireless access points when you do this.

If you want a router to control the network and also provide the wireless service, then take a look at Linksys's bigger brother......Cisco.

May 16, 2015 3:29 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Freeze. So, let me see if I am feeling you.

A. Modem-----Linksys router------Airport Extreme

B. Modem------AEBS-----Linksys router (Wireless is off on the Linksys but I have network control)

C. Modem-----AEBS (Unfortunately, I was starting to experience some wireless problems on some devices)

Bob, obviously, I don't know your family dynamic but I need network control. I need a router that has some firewall features. As I said before, when you have preteens and teenagers at home, you can't give them the keys to the kingdom. If I didn't have kids at home, the whole network control would not be an issue.

AEBS and AE Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.