Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Plug-in Failure

Encountering a web site that addresses the legacy QuickTime Plug-in with embed code using the latest popular web browsers has the following negative effects:

Chrome: This Plug-in is not supported

Firefox: Activate QuickTime. After doing so, FF downloads the entire video before beginning to play. FF will make this demand for every instance.

Safari: On some current systems, Safari will throw a "Plug-in failure" message and refuse to play the video.

Since Safari 8.0.6 under OS X 10.10.3 is my primary web browser on my desktop system and I am getting the Plug-in failure error message whenever I encounter video instantiated with QuickTime embed code, my question is how do I correct this situation? My laptop does not display this issue even though it also uses Safari 8.0.6 under OS X 10.10.3. Neither do my iOS 8.x devices. Thus, its clear to me that the problem is specific to my desktop machine.

I have booted into recovery and run every corrective measure I can think of (permissions, disk repair, etc.). I have fiddled with Security Safari prefs to no avail. I have even attempted to replace the QuickTime Plug-in with a copy of the same file from my laptop.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 12 TB Disk Space

Posted on May 16, 2015 9:45 AM

13 replies

May 17, 2015 9:42 AM in response to Frank Lowney

QT X 10.x has abandoned support for some 'legacy' codecs. Although a movie may be in an MP4 'container' the codec may me old.

If you are able to use FF to download the movie (QuickTime Enabler is the add-on) AND play it successfully in QT X, please tell us - as the codec MAY not be it

Each website needs to re-author their pages to HTML5 specifications for FF & Chrome to play them in the page - most all of youtube has been done

If your movies are 'non-commercial' -- educational, say - the content provider might not go to the trouble of HTML5 conversion of their pages - right away - but eventually, all the browsers will conply and then download and play locally will be it.

May 17, 2015 11:40 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Here are my test cases:

H.264/AAC - uses QuickTime Plug-in embed code: http://sleepy.gcsu.edu/iPod/Letterman/

H.264/AAC - uses HTML 5 video tag: http://dig1.gcsu.edu/frank_lowney/ipod/letterman/

The one that requires the QuickTime Plug-in uses modern CODECs (H.264 and AAC) so "legacy" CODECs are not the issue. My desktop computer (OS X 10.10.3) gets a Plug-in failure error message with Safari. My laptop, also on OS X 10.10.3, DOES play this video. Chrome refuses to play it at all saying that this (QuickTime) Plug-in is not supported. Firefox demands that QuickTime be "activated" on every play and does not begin playback until the entire file has been downloaded (no progressive streaming aka fast start) but FF does eventually play it.

The second instance of the same video file uses the HTML 5 video tag. It DOES NOT use the QuickTime Plug-in at all. It plays natively in all browsers on all of the machines available to me. If you look at the code for that page, you'll note that there is a second, alternate version of the video. This alternate video is in *.webm format. The reason for this alternate version is the Firefox refuses to play H.264 video natively.

So, yes, web authors will eventually have to re-write the code for video on their web sites, if only because Chrome refuses to use the QuickTime (and, presumably) other plug-ins.

However, this issue with Safari and the QuickTime Plug-in seems to affect some Macs and not others even though those Macs are all using the same OS and the same version of Safari. So, this is the question: Why does Safari throw a "Plug-in failure" message on one OS X 10.10.3 machine and not on another?

This s a real head scratcher for me.

FBTW, I have also turned off all Safari extensions and booted into Safe mode, all to no avail.

May 17, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Frank Lowney

Although I cannot test Safari 8.0.6, I can test a real early version - good to go on #1 & #2

(not so much on the " .webm " version - copy paste the filename after the URL = gobbledygook)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Firefox (TenFourFox 31.7) = no good on either #1 or 2

Key on #2 when I get to the download pane via [View Video] contextual menu is " Matroska video "

Although I cannot explain why FF is having an issue, I think Wikipedia may shed light on Safari 8.0.6... see its section in the table = all RED NO support for .webm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video#Browser_support

I am not a HTML5 author, but if I were to investigate further, I would reverse engineer YouTube's code for HTML5

I see this when I view a video

• "Firefox does not support this format" (like the grey box in Row 2, image 1)
  • THEN... it loads the HTML5 version and begins playing

May 17, 2015 4:21 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

First of all, thanks so much for looking at this.

Unfortunately, the world of web video has changed so the way that older software worked is no longer relevant. For example, Perian has ceased development because QuickTime X Player no longer uses it. In fact, QuickTime X Player now converts old video files using a routine called the Video Modernizer.

Safari should not have any problem with the HTML 5 code. The way HTML 5 video playback works is that the browser plays the first video it can play. Thus, Safari and Chrome play the H.264 version and Firefox plays the WebM version. Theora would be another version that Firefox likes.

Not sure where you are getting the Matroska labeling from. It's true that this video was originally Matroska but it was re-encoded to H.264 by Handbrake.

The version that calls on the QuickTime Plug-in is exactly the same as the one that uses HTML 5.

QuickTime Plug-in: http://sleepy.gcsu.edu/iPod/Letterman/letterman_GC&SU_iPod_H264.mov

HTML 5: http://dig1.gcsu.edu/frank_lowney/ipod/letterman/letterman_GC&SU_iPod_H264.mov

Open these in QuickTime X Player and do a Get Info and you'll see that they are both H.264/AAC.

Alternatively, you could download them and analyze them with a more robust tool such as MediaInfo. I did and found no mention of Matroska.

No need to reverse engineer YouTube, the info needed is openly available. For example: http://diveintohtml5.infoand more specifically: http://diveintohtml5.info/video.html

May 17, 2015 6:13 PM in response to Frank Lowney

Oops... Perian not "Installed" in its Preferences Pane - with Perian installed, I get funtionality "in browser" - BUT - with QT Player Pro 7.6.4 I get a white video display w/ audio, so I leave it off. VLC fails completely to run.

FF plays it now - although it nowhere near what I experience on YouTube

1. I Click your original link to the HTML5 version > http://dig1.gcsu.edu/frank_lowney/ipod/letterman/
    User uploaded file
  2. [View Video] contextual menu opens a Dialog
    User uploaded file
  3. [OK] to {Open with TenFourFoxG3} opens a NEW Window (????) that plays the movie at normal size
    User uploaded file

Now.... after all that brouhaha... that is still nowhere near finding out what's what with Safari not supporting webm, now is it? 😕

Lastly... "Matroska video" - from earlier without Perian installed - this FAILED miserably... wants to use Perian to somehow open in QT Player

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I see how the page source is so very simple... ±40 lines with 2 that are germane...

User uploaded file

just doesn't seem to work as advertised. Line 23 is 'not QUITE true' -- or is it?

May 18, 2015 9:34 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Now.... after all that brouhaha... that is still nowhere near finding out what's what with Safari not supporting webm, now is it?

Lastly... "Matroska video" - from earlier without Perian installed - this FAILED miserably... wants to use Perian to somehow open in QT Player

I'm actually starting to get a headache trying to follow the various explanations, so if you will allow, I'll simply post my understanding of the situations:

Basically, a media file is playable if, and only if, three requirements are met:

1. The target system is configured to recognize and support the media file format (container),
  2. The target system is configured to recognize and support the media file compression formats contained within the file type, and
  3. The playing software (media player, browser, plug-in, etc.) is programmed to recognize and process the combination of file type and codecs used.

Since each software manufacturer is free to program their software as they think best, individual users are free to configure their systems as they please, and web site programmers are free to post content in any file format and compression format they choose on a web page programmed for playback in any manner they choose, there are quite a number of possible permutations when it comes to playback possibilities on any given system.

In the case of the WEBM file, neither QT X nor QT 7 natively support the playback of On2 VP8 video or Vorbus audio content. On the other hand, if Perian is installed, then the QT 7 player and the QT 7 plug-in can play this content employing user added support software. Unfortunately, the QT X player cannot access the Perian support for playback purposes and is not programmed to use it for conversion purposes. As to whether or not HTML5 WEBM programmed Safari playback is possible, it is impossible to tell at this point since the order of your playback test conditions automatically selects the first HTML5 (MOV file) option for my system—thus it never reaches the WEBM test. (I.e., you would have to try reversing the order of the playback tests (or simply delete the first option to see if the HTML5 WEBM option is also viable in Safari v8.0.6 on my system.)

With regard to the Matroska file type, in this case it is the file type that is not natively supported by either QT X or QT 7 embedded OS structures. Once again, if the Perian codec package is installed, QT 7 based software can process/play the files but QT X based software cannot play or convert the content since the software is not programmed to recognize/handle MKV files even when the compressed data is compatible.

As to why systems with the same OS handled files differently, you have yet to indicate how these systems are have been user configured for codecs and file types nor traced, in all cases, which resource file is actually being accessed or how. E.g., to actually test the WEBM file version, I had to manually access and download the media resource since the manner in which the alternate web pages are programmed controls which files are accessed by the different browsers. (E.g., entering the URL http://dig1.gcsu.edu/frank_lowney/ipod/letterman/letterman_GC&SU_iPod_H264.webm in Safari automatically downloads the WEBM file but if I enter the URL http://dig1.gcsu.edu/frank_lowney/ipod/letterman/ then the web page automatically plays the MOV file using HTML5 at HTML5 defined dimensions but entering the complete http://dig1.gcsu.edu/frank_lowney/ipod/letterman/letterman_GC&SU_iPod_H264.mov URL plays the MOV file via the plug-in at the file's own encoded playback dimensions. Therefore, recommend the original poster program and test web page coding, media content, and browser combinations individually and one-at-a-time in oder to achieve his goal—whatever that may be. (I.e., I still don't know if your goal is to avoid plug-in failure modal messages or the coding of your web page for use by all possible bowsers on all possible platforms, using all possible configurations for a specific form of media or something else entirely different.)

User uploaded file

May 18, 2015 10:44 AM in response to Frank Lowney

Frank

I had hoped that our continued conversation - keeping the thread 'current' - would finally attract a user that lives and breathes QT - and we finally got a one of the best - Jon Walker (thanks Jon!)

If he cannot figure this out with you, it likely cannot be done!

best regards - I will follow with interest in learning something

ÇÇÇ

May 18, 2015 10:53 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks, Jon, for the detailed reply. We agree that this discussion has gotten far afield. Let my try to re-focus it by eliminating the things that are not relevant.

• The Matroska format is not involved and, so, is irrelevant.
  • The HTML 5 example does not use the QuickTime Plug-in and works for all modern web browsers because it offers both an H.264 encoded *.mov file for Safari and Chrome and a *.webm fallback option just for Firefox. Nothing about the HTML 5 example is relevant except the fact that the *.mov file used is exactly the same as the *.mov file used in the QuickTime Plug-in example.
  • There is nothing wrong with the *.mov file used in the QuickTime Plug-in example. One can see this for themselves by downloading the file directly at
    http://sleepy.gcsu.edu/iPod/Letterman/letterman_GC&SU_iPod_H264.mov It can be played successfully with QuickTime X Player, QuickTime 7 Player, VLC and any number of other competent playback environments. The CODECs used are H.264/AAC.
  • Chrome does not support the QuickTime Plug-in so is irrelevant.

So what IS the issue?

The latest version of OS X (10.10.3) which includes Safari 8.0.6, issues a "Plug-in Failure" error message on some computers attempting to view the web-based video at http://sleepy.gcsu.edu/iPod/Letterman/ and other web-based video that call the QuickTime Plug-in via embed code. All things being equal, this should not be the case. Yet, we see a number of vaguely worded complaints in these Apple Discussion pages citing this Plug-in Failure error message in connection with QuickTime.

The problem, then, is figuring out what is not equal. I have a laptop that does not throw the Plug-in error message and a desktop that does. The fact that Firefox successfully uses the QuickTime Plug-in when Safari does not seems significant in that the QuickTime Plug-in could not be corrupted. Both are at OS X 10.10.3 and, so, both use Safari 8.0.6. Here are the things I've tried:

• Disable all Safari extensions
  • Boot into Safe mode
  • Replace QuickTime Plug-in with a copy from a machine known not to throw this error.
  • Seek out other examples that call the QuickTime Plug-in to see if the error is consistent (it is)

So, other than resorting to superstition, I am at a loss to know what I should try next.

May 18, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Frank Lowney

Here's some additional info gleaned via watching Console while attempting to view this video on the problematic desktop machine. Console says:

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'launch path not accessible'

It also cites the path of the offending Plug-in as:

PlugIn Path: /Library/Frameworks/TSLicense.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/EWSEmbedded.frame work/Versions/A/EWSEmbedded

PlugIn Identifier: com.eSellerate.EWSMac

Since this log entry is created on every attempt to view the video, I think we have a viable suspect. The eSellerate system is used by many smaller developers and I have no idea as to what might happen should I delete the folder file:///Library/Frameworks/TSLicense.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/EWSEmbedde d.framework/ and all of the files it contains.

I suppose that I can restore it from backups so let's see what happens.

May 18, 2015 3:36 PM in response to Frank Lowney

Success! This was the solution for this problem in this particular case. The heuristic to remember is to use the Console and Logs to find out where the problem resides. I have been updating this system using Migration Manager over several computers over the years so, inevitably, have a lot of cruft that tagged along. I may find that some eSellerate validated app will refuse to run at some point in the future but that may not matter. It could be something that I no longer use.

For Apple and eSellerate, I'd ask that more attention be paid to sunsetting old frameworks and the like.

May 18, 2015 3:58 PM in response to Frank Lowney

Sorry for taking so long. Dog had an appointment for shots and we were there about an hour longer than expected.

The latest version of OS X (10.10.3) which includes Safari 8.0.6, issues a "Plug-in Failure" error message on some computers attempting to view the web-based video at http://sleepy.gcsu.edu/iPod/Letterman/ and other web-based video that call the QuickTime Plug-in via embed code. All things being equal, this should not be the case. Yet, we see a number of vaguely worded complaints in these Apple Discussion pages citing this Plug-in Failure error message in connection with QuickTime.

The problem, then, is figuring out what is not equal. I have a laptop that does not throw the Plug-in error message and a desktop that does. The fact that Firefox successfully uses the QuickTime Plug-in when Safari does not seems significant in that the QuickTime Plug-in could not be corrupted. Both are at OS X 10.10.3 and, so, both use Safari 8.0.6.

Now that I know which file is causing you grief, I downloaded it and took a closer look. While settings technically look okay based on a 502x373 Main Profile, Level 2.1 non-anamorphic encode at 15 fps, further examination indicates there may be a problem using the VFR encoding mode here since your target frame rate has an excursion of 14.493 to 32.258 fps which may exceed the ability of some systems (video card) to support the Main @ L2.1 standard. I.e., I would try any of the following to see if it avoids triggering the "Plug-in Failure" modal message:

1. Increase the encoding level and keep everything else the same,
  2. Use the constant frame rate encoding mode and keep everything else the same, or
  3. Decrease encoding dimensions or encode as an anamorphic file and keep everything else the same.

Basically, I suspect Apple's tendency to "optimize" systems based on the hardware capabilities may be triggering the failure messages seen on some platforms but not others. In this case, the ability of a system to support your current encoding dimensions should vary inversely with respect to the instantaneous frame rate. E.g., a 502x373 Main, L2.1 encode should have no problem on any system at 15 fps but would be optimally limited to an anamorphic 352x576 encode at 25 fps or an anamorphic 352x480 encode at 30 fps. Thus, since the VFR encode varies between <15 fps to >30 fps, some systems ignore the variation while others don't depending on the capabilities of the video card or card mode in use.

This is just as guess, so take it with a grain of salt and assumes both systems are running correctly without any software corruption or conflicts. If it helps, I have encoded and posted both a non-anamorphic CFR Main @ L2.1 and and anamorphic VFR High @ L4.1 versions of your file that you can test on your web pages to check for more consistent playback across platforms using the Safari v8.0.6 browser.

http://downloads.walker4.me/Temporary_files/letterman_GC%26SU_iPod_H264-1_Consta nt_fps.mov

http://downloads.walker4.me/Temporary_files/letterman_GC%26SU_iPod_H264-1_L41.mo v

User uploaded file

May 18, 2015 3:56 PM in response to Frank Lowney

Success! This was the solution for this problem in this particular case. The heuristic to remember is to use the Console and Logs to find out where the problem resides. I have been updating this system using Migration Manager over several computers over the years so, inevitably, have a lot of cruft that tagged along. I may find that some eSellerate validated app will refuse to run at some point in the future but that may not matter. It could be something that I no longer use.

I take it that this software was creating a conflict with playback of the file on just the one system and the problem was eliminated by deleting the software to which you refer?

User uploaded file

QuickTime Plug-in Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.