Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

magic mouse disconnecting

Hi,

I've been all over Support and tried EVERYTHING to get my Magic Mouse to stay connected. It's disconnecting like every 5-10 seconds.

And I've been on this website for 5 minutes and it hasn't disconnected. But on Twitter it's a big problem. On Facebook it's a slight problem. Every other website not a problem

Can Twitter cause a Bluetooth issue?

I'm trying to give as much info as possible.

Other than that, I've unpaird and paired. I've check the batteries. I've followed every instruction available in the Forums and it's not fixing the problem. I've had my Mouse for about a year. I don't have 5+ bluetooth devices going at once. The other Magic Mouse in the House to my partners laptop is turned off.

Going on 7 minutes on Apple Forums and the MM has not disconnected.

I really need help. It's frustrating me greatly.

Anyone?

Help?

Thanks

Bill

Posted on May 16, 2015 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2015 10:19 AM

Do you have more than ONE bluetooth item going at once? If you turn your mouse over, does the green light stay constant. Is there a forum site for Macs on Twitter to check out if others have a similar problem. I don't use it?

17 replies

May 28, 2015 1:09 PM in response to QuantumJourney

Battery sizes are not consistent from one brand to another. The difference may be slight but the effect is one of unreliable performance and frequent disconnections. You can often test by shaking the mouse to see if it rattles.

I cannot say yea or nay to any particular battery but within these forums the following batteries appear to be the most reliable. Duracell, Energiser and Eneloop. Apple batteries used to be in this group but my experience of them of late has not been good.

Then you have to consider regular batteries and rechargeable. Regular give between 25 and 35 days usage. Rechargeable (after the first few charges) tend to last between 12 and 18 days ... and quickly deteriorate from then onwards.

Oct 11, 2015 8:21 AM in response to QuantumJourney

I found that cleaning all four battery contacts in the mouse worked great for me. There are many ways you can clean them. What I did was take a small piece of sand paper and use the tip of a small screw driver to rub the sand paper all around the surface of the "+" terminal side. I then used my finger with the sand paper to rub it around the "-" terminal side. Working great for me now.

Another method to clean the contacts is to use rubbing alcohol with a cue tip and rub hard on the contacts.

Feb 14, 2016 11:15 AM in response to QuantumJourney

Here's another possible fix: leave the cover plate off.

I was having frequent disconnects, tried other solutions including the bit of paper, but when I simply did not replace the bottom cover of the battery compartment, it just worked without disconnecting. I suspect my rechargeable batteries have the sizing problem mentioned above, although I had used them for at least a year before the problem started. If you do this, I suggest also being diligent about cleaning the terminals each time you replace batteries.

magic mouse disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.