Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not connect to FTP server from internet

New to OS X Server but am figuring it out slowly. I have the FTP service running and can access a designated share point from my LAN but can not access it from Firezilla coming in through my AE. I can get this far but can not return a directory listing. Anyone with an idea on how to fix this?

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Response: 220 10.0.1.13 FTP server (tnftpd 20100324+GSSAPI) ready.

Command: AUTH TLS

Response: 504 Authentication via TLS not supported

Command: AUTH SSL

Response: 504 Authentication via SSL not supported

Command: USER Scott

Response: 331 User Scott accepted, provide password.

Command: PASS ******

Response: 230 User Scott logged in.

Command: PWD

Response: 257 "/" is the current directory.

Command: TYPE I

Response: 200 Type set to I.

Command: PASV

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (69,254,194,53,249,27)

Command: MLSD

Error: The data connection could not be established: ENETUNREACH - Network unreachable

Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity

Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Posted on May 16, 2015 7:50 PM

13 replies

May 17, 2015 11:43 AM in response to Linc Davis

So, I don't have a "ftpaccess" file in the FTP directory on Server v4.1 but did find ftpf.conf. It's locked down pretty well.

# the FTP document for OS X Server users

chroot real /Users/Scott/Documents

# match umask from Mac OS X Server ftpd

umask all 022

#disable homedirs

homedir all /

I tried adding mysellf as rw but no joy. I did update my AE to open those ports.

I noticed one more thing in the log. In the Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (69,254,194,53,220,35) line below, the server address is obviously first and I'm assuming the following 2 numbers ar report numbers. These do NOT stay the same from attempt to attempt. Very random.

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (69,254,194,53,220,35)

Error: The data connection could not be established: ENETUNREACH - Network unreachable

May 17, 2015 5:48 PM in response to MRYFLYGUY

Hello MRYFLYGUY,

Where is this remote location? You are talking about an FTP server on your machine. This would allow machines in some remote location to transfer files to this server. But if this server is not a real server, and is instead behind some hardware firewall/NAT layer like an Airport Express, you are going to find it very difficult to serve FTP.

May 18, 2015 10:33 AM in response to etresoft

I purchased OS X Server primarily for web hosting (which works well) and the FTP utility to make files available from a remote location (on the internet). As I understand it, Apple only allows FTP server to download files, not upload files to the server. Is this correct?

I am able to authenticate successfully now after figuring out the server does not immediately close attempted ftp sessions (don't know what the timeout is).

When I use FileZilla on my Mac or "FTP on the Go" iPhone App to connect to my PRIVATE IP Address (both connected to my LAN), both return a directory listing successfully. I'm good to go on my local network.

If I try to connect to the PUBLIC IP from FileZilla on my Mac, FTP connects but times out getting a directory listing. If I take the iPhone off the LAN wireless (so it's using AT&T 4G/LTE) and attempt to connect, I get the same thing. Successful login but no directory listing.

Here's what to looks like from both FTP on the Go and FileZilla.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Response: 220 10.0.1.13 FTP server (tnftpd 20100324+GSSAPI) ready.

Command: AUTH TLS

Response: 504 Authentication via TLS not supported

Command: AUTH SSL

Response: 504 Authentication via SSL not supported

Command: USER Scott

Response: 331 User Scott accepted, provide password.

Command: PASS ******

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (69,254,194,53,216,150)

May 18, 2015 1:09 PM in response to MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY wrote:

I purchased OS X Server primarily for web hosting (which works well) and the FTP utility to make files available from a remote location (on the internet). As I understand it, Apple only allows FTP server to download files, not upload files to the server. Is this correct?

Hello again MRYFLYGUY,

You have to clarify what you mean by "upload" and "download" in the context of a home server. Usually those terms refer to some publicly accessible server on the internet from client machines. In your case, you are running the server. And worse, your server isn't publicly accessible, causing you all kind of problems getting through your WiFi router.

I am still unsure about what you are really trying to accomplish, what you have done, and what you have accomplished. When you refer to "the FTP utility", what exactly are you talking about? As far as I know, OS X Server includes an FTP server. Are you talking about something else?

I am also unsure about your solution. There is an SFTP protocol, but it isn't FTP. SFTP can be used for uploading and downloading files, but it doesn't integrate with the Finder. There is also an FTPS protocol that really is FTP, but over a secure communication channel. Regardless of what protocol you are using, running a server from home is never a good idea. Most consumer internet connections have much slower upload speeds than download speeds. You are likely restricting yourself to the slowest possible combination of upload speeds both ways.

May 18, 2015 1:55 PM in response to etresoft

Mac with OS X Server is running in AZ.

Mac Mini with VNC & FTP Client is running in CA.

I anticipate moving files from the Server in AZ to the Mini in CA (downloading is typically from Server to Client)

I have a Firezilla FTP internet client connecting to the Mac Server via SFTP and FTPS - both working great.

I'm currently using Comcast cable with 59 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload and they'll be doubling that soon. So I'm not worried about speed.

After I published my Yahoo web page to my server and forwarded the Yahoo A Record to my server, I've noticed page loads & image rendering are greatly improved. Yahoo web hosting is terrible, IMO.

I use VNC to connect to the Mac Server in AZ from the Mini in CA so it won't be a problem to start/stop the FTP server as necessary.

Scott

May 18, 2015 6:10 PM in response to MRYFLYGUY

Hello Scott,

There are many better alternatives than Yahoo. I strongly suggest not hosting anything from an ISP connection. Downloads from that server will forever be limited to the upload speed from the server. The most the CA machines will ever see is 24 Mbps. Also, get yourself a domain name, if you don't already have one. Again, I wouldn't recommend Yahoo for that service.

I use Dreamhost, but there are many similar services like Digital Ocean. It is best to let those people deal with public-facing web servers. They stay up-to-date with security and hosting issues far better than one of us ever could.

Can not connect to FTP server from internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.