Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G4 screen not straight

I just brought an iMac G4 17inch. But the lcd is leaning to the right. Is there any way to straighten it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iMac G4

Posted on May 16, 2015 3:59 PM

4 replies

May 17, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Klaus1

Apple Retail stores no longer work on Macs that old. They MAY tell you what is wrong but you must find an independent Apple Service provider who still works on older models.

Leaning displays problems with G4 iMacs are most commonly due to a worn support arm. Getting to the attachment point inside the case require a full teardown of the computer--not a do it yourself job on that model unless you are highly skilled in working inside electronic devices. If you can get inside (you are a Master of Technology!), then you are faced with the problem of finding an unused replacement support arm assembly. One could easily cost more than the computer is worth.

May 17, 2015 4:42 PM in response to Hugh Master Of Technology

Usually the iMac G4 computer's chrome metal display support arm is not intended for

holding the full weight if the unit is carried; so to lift it up and then put another hand under

the round base, then be careful to balance the weight so as to not bend the arm, is best.

However once it is bent, the process to fix any of these metal display arms is most troublesome.

The tools that used to be available to tighten or replace certain friction discs no longer are made.

An iMac G4 I bought direct from Apple Store online, arrived and in the box, the arm looked

oddly tilted; so I carefully removed the computer from its shipping further, to find it seems

OK, except when I sat at the desk, one side appeared higher than the other. Of course, I

had a builder's level nearby and checked my table top, it was plumb & level. The iMac G4

display across the top, was not. It took about 5 months to get the display replaced at an

authorized Apple service provider 120 miles (one way) but the ensuing problems including

three logic boards and some other parts (bad RAM the AASP installed, per upgrade) also

were bogus. I still have the computer, bad logic board, power supply, disabled it.

You could try carefully bending the arm into a more neutral and visually acceptable position.

There are some springs and ball-bearing like objects inside, so be wary of taking apart w/o

some idea of what may fly out.

The general USB2.0 iMac G4 series (15-17-20-inch) may be covered in pdf here:

link to direct download manual

Mine still has the new chrome arm, seldom used after 8 months and 3,000 miles of travel to try

& get it repaired under Applecare. I even bought the extended service plan. But the only Apple

reseller service provider that could've repaired it would not because it wasn't bought there...

If you get a replacement arm from some other iMac G4, you may as well hope to find the arm

with a good 17-inch LCD panel attached, so as to save you a bit more time, considering this

process to remove/replace the chrome arm requires nearly a complete dis-assembly of both

the hemispherical base and the panel, and there are problem areas on either end of the arm.

I have three of these iMac G4 1.25GHz 17-inch models. One works, but needs optical drive.

•Mr Totes iMac G4 (take apart for upgrade/repair)

http://www.mrtotes.co.uk/page1/page1.html

•iMac G4 Take-apart for Drive, RAM, & SuperDrive upgrade/repair:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/imac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html

There may still be an original Apple service manual in PDF for this model (USB2.0 iMac G4)

that covers most aspects of troubleshooting & repair access; there also is a smaller version

for just the 17-inch model, that shares some similarity between the 20-inch & 17-inch. While

the USB2.0 model instructions covers all three, the 15-inch is less similar in some internals.

I have a digital copy of this repair guide, that I used to help troubleshoot my iMac G4 whilst

it was under AppleCare, at home, after the authorized Apple service provider was unable to

discover the cause of re-occurring kernal panics that were predictable. I found the cause was

not only the Kingston RAM they sold me (& installed, as I was not supposed to, under warranty)

and also they damaged the logic boards. All of this started with the bent display arm, new in box.

My iMac G4's arm still has original replacement part shipping paper & plastic over it. As-new.

Took me extra effort to get Apple support to intervene and they finally told the AASP to just do

what I said. Oddly, none of their documentation correctly says what it was they did, or when.

{So the official Apple Service guide for iMac G4 USB2.0 model would help in this process.

You may be able to find one, perhaps among choices at a site such as github, or others.}

I never had to take-apart the computer to discover the unit's problem under AppleCare.

It was solely the two AASPs available to the greater Alaska population center at the time.

In any event... if mine did not represent so much irritation and stress, it'd have been a fancy

target holder out at the gravel pit. Just thought I'd let you know, as restoring will be headachy. 🙂

iMac G4 screen not straight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.